Family Roadie: Canty & West Coast +

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Family Roadie: Canty & West Coast +

Postby RussCannings » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:00 pm

My wife Lisa, 1 year old Alex, and I have just returned from a superb school holiday trip to the South Island. We managed to score some cheap flights to ChCh direct from Hamilton (on points--woo!) so decided to focus on some areas we either hadn't been to or not for a long while. In hindsight I think we bit off a bit too much for a week-long adventure as it certainly felt like we were driving a lot most days, when we could have been hiking around in the wonderful weather. We certainly would have been happy staying put in any one of the marvelous places we stayed in. Ah well--our ambitious travel itinerary still allowed for an incredible diversity of areas to visit, explore, stay, eat, and of course...bird.

Christchurch to Arthur's Pass:

Flew into Christchurch on Wednesday, October 2nd in the afternoon. Little Alex needed a nap, so we drove her to sleep by heading up to Waikuku and the Ashley River mouth. Strong southerlies made scoping a bit challenging but birding from the south side made it possible to be protected by the dunes to an extent. Fortunately both the BLACK STILT and SANDERLING made themselves conspicuous early on, and it was nice to watch BLACK-FRONTED TERNS fishing over the estuary with the more numerous WHITE-FRONTED TERNS. On the drive back out, we spotted several LITTLE BLACK SHAGS which were Canterbury ticks for me.

The following day we struck out for the hills. It was certainly wintery in Porter's Pass, but that was a welcome bit of newness coming from the sticky Waikato. At both Lake Lyndon and Pearson we were delighted to get good looks at GREAT CRESTED GREBES, along with a few SIPO, stilts, and BANDED DOTS. We stopped at Hawdon Shelter for lunch where it was nice to bump into fellow British Columbian Mike Ashbee, working his usual magic on tomtits and robins. Hilariously (or tragically), Alex got very upset every time a bold male robin approached our picnic blanket. She is generally very inquisitive about birds (mostly big ones), so this little guy must have been too unpredictable for her liking. Later on she scored her lifer KEA at Bealey (Didn't mind them at all), then more at Arthur's Pass Village. Interestingly, Arthur's Pass itself was sunny warm and without snow; a distinct contrast from the fog, cold winds, and snow around Porter's.

West Coast:

As we descended west of the divide, the sun came out more and the day warmed up wonderfully. Following tips from previous posters to this group, we cut SW toward Hokitika on the Old Christchurch Road and stopped off along the cycle trail where a hydro canal leads to a small reservoir and dam. Here there were lots of NZ SCAUP as well as several pairs of pure-looking GREY DUCK. Best of all was a pair of BLUE DUCK just above the dam.

We eventually made our way to our Air BnB in Hokitika and mostly relaxed around town. In the late afternoon we made our way down to Lake Mahinapua (The lake that some speculate Kotuku/Great Egret are nesting or prospecting). Sure enough we noted 4-5 of these elegant birds flying south over the lake. This is a stunning place to visit, particularly on a calm sunny day. BROWN CREEPER were abundant in the tangled foliage around the carpark, and a lone LITTLE BLACK SHAG fishing off the beach was an unexpected bonus on the west coast. We finished off the day with some fish and chips near the driftwood 'Hokitika' sign on the main town beach. Offshore several SPOTTED SHAGS flew by, and best of all--a fishing vessel had some WHITE-CAPPED ALBATROSS, WESTLAND PETRELS, and at least 1 GIANT PETREL tagging along (Unfortunately smaller and distant birds could not be identified in the evening sun).

One of my favourite things about travelling NZ (or anywhere I suppose) is noting the slight (or obvious) differences in distribution of supposedly widespread and common birds. Before visiting the coast on this trip, I took a quick look at my bird lists from previous visits and was shocked to note that even while accruing around 70 species for the coast (Good for 2nd all time on eBird believe it or not!), I had never recorded (among other things): Grey Teal, Gannet, Pied Shag, White-faced Heron, Bar-tailed Godwit, Banded Dotterel, Caspian Tern, or Sacred Kingfisher! Was this simply because I didn't bother to note down common species seen incidentally while travelling, or had a really never seen these on the west coast? As we would find out, these species (while present) are indeed much scarcer than other parts of NZ (particularly the Waikato where we live and build our bias). Fortunately we scored our lone CASPIAN TERN for the trip at the Hoki mouth that evening, along with a lone BANDED DOTTEREL.

The next morning, we headed inland to the beautiful Lake Kaniere en route to the now very touristy Hokitika Gorge. Both places are well worth the visit, for bush-birding, scenery, and even a few birds. Our first WHITE-FACED HERONS of the trip were in some remote farm paddocks in the area, and we also found a small flock of BANDED DOTTERELS in similar habitat.

After lunch in Hokitika (and a disappointing stop at the poo ponds--lots of ducks but no teal!), we made our way north up to Greymouth, where rain descended. Little Alex was not loving being cooped up in the car at this point so we only stopped briefly at a few of the estuary wetlands in town with 2 more LITTLE BLACK SHAGS near the airport being the highlight. Instead of doing the usual coastal route up to Punakaiki, we opted this time to head inland up the Grey River to Reefton (via Blackball on the day). This scenic rural valley seems like a great place to explore whether both for birding and for the mining/pioneering history. We rejoiced on the outskirts of Reefton when the first KINGFISHER appeared on a wire---wahoo! Reefton too is a surprising gem. Up until recently it was your typical depressed former coal town with lots of shut up shops. It is undergoing a revitalisation effort with many new 'trendy' businesses coming in, including a well-regarded gin distillery which we managed to check out before it closed for the day. Without a doubt, my main birding memory of our time in Reefton were NZ PIGEONS (Kereru) being absolutely everywhere feeding on cherry buds.

As forecasted, the next morning was rainy. Fortunately our next accommodation in Westport said we were welcome to check in early so after a wet drive through the Buller Gorge (kind of seems fitting, driving it in downpours), we popped into a lovely suite on the outskirts of Westport, lit the fire, and did some reading. As the rain subsided in the afternoon, my wife insisted that we should take this opportunity to check out Karamea. Knowing little about the driving involved I agreed. Woooeee, that's a mission. While the map might show mostly straight lines, driving over the Karamea Bluffs in rain takes a wee while! Anyway, we did eventually make it although unfortunately the rain returned. Not wanting to give up, we continued up into the Oparara Basin. This pocket of superb native forest averages around six metres of rain per year (similar to Milford) and we could certainly feel it on the day. Still, the rain eased off and we enjoyed a great walk to one of several impressive limestone arches and caves in the area. The usual bush birds were present along with 1 or 2 calling KEA in overhead (No kaka detected unfortunately). On the return trip to Westport, we noted a KOTUKU in a field near Karamea, and several BAR-TAILED GODWITS (distant) on the main estuary south of town. In the evening after dinner, I ventured out from our accommodation, ideally placed right on the Orowaiti Lagoon, and counted well over 100 GODWIT along with a few ROYAL SPOONBILL. After dark, the wind died down, so I tried listening for bittern and the like in the area, but settled for 1 MARSH CRAKE calling, plenty of WEKA (We must have seen hundreds over the 3-4 days on the coast!), and a SHINING CUCKOO which called as it migrated overhead in the starry sky. Eventually I got tired of being continually questioned by suspicious farmers and police about why I was standing on the side of the road at night and decided to go to bed.

In the morning, the sun was back out, and after breakfast we ventured back down to the edge of the Orowaiti Lagoon and were delighted to see a small flock of 6 CATTLE EGRET along with a few ROYAL SPOONBILL. We packed up our things and headed west to Tauranga Bay, perhaps the nicest beach on the west coast? Here there is a popular walk to the Cape Foulwind seal colony and lighthouse. While the wind was down, there were still plenty of WHITE-CAPPED ALBATROSS floating offshore, along with a few SOOTY SHEARWATERS, and yes--2 GANNET! To finish up in Westport we popped down to the other tidal lagoon south of Tauranga Bay--Okari Estuary. Unfortunately the tide was low, and one could only view the bottom third of the estuary with any ease, but still--there was our first PIED SHAG. This species has a very peculiar range in NZ, being common in Southland, Canterbury, Marlborough, Tasman, Wellington, Manawatu, Gisborne, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Auckland, and Northland but being scarce to rare in Otago (except Catlins), West Coast, Taranaki, and Hawkes Bay (except Mahia). Go figure...

Over the divide to Marlborough, then down to Cheviot/Gore Bay and finally back to Christchurch

We enjoyed a much more sunny drive through the Buller Gorge and stopped in Murchison for lunch. Here a KAKA flew over town and some of the last WEKAs of the trip crossed the road. A brief stop at Lake Rotoiti in St Arnaud revealed a visiting flock of BLACK-BILLED GULLS and we could not see any sign of the Mandarin Duck that had previously frequented the area. By the time we reached Blenheim we were hungry and tired of the drive, so we loaded up on groceries and headed up the Awatere Valley (west of Seddon) to our lovely stone cottage accommodation (If you haven't explored the options on Air BnB, check it out!). While relaxation was the focus, I couldn't help but note the dusk call of a RING-NECKED PHEASANT (my first for Marlborough).

Brilliant sun graced us again, for our drive south to Gore Bay (on the coast near Cheviot). After a lazy morning up the Awatere (Marvelous views of the Kaikoura Mountains), we reconnected with the highway, and stopped at Elterwater (Sadly no time for Grassmere with a baby in tow!) where wind was up making for difficult grebing. Only a DABCHICK could be seen in that department, however the male NORTHERN SHOVELER was so obvious we spotted him with the naked eye before getting out of the car. Any drive south from Ward to Christchurch is highlighted by the Kaikoura coast. Neither of us had visited since the quake, so while we weren't surprised to see a lot of uplifted bleached rock, we were surprised at how so much roadworks are still ongoing (Seems to be employing half of north Canty!). While some changes were sad to see, it appears that the seals at Ohau Point are loving life, and from Ohau all the way south of Kaikoura to Goose Bay and beyond, what seemed like the entire HUTTON'S SHEARWATER population was on full display--not just in big rafts, but right off the rocks so that even my 1 year old daughter was pointing at them out the car window! Joining them were also hundreds of SOOTY SHEARWATER which must be on their way south to Otago and Southland. Several NORTHERN GIANT PETRELS made close approaches to the highway as well which is always neat, and even though the wind was blowing out to see, it was nice to get onto a BLACK-BROWED/CAMPBELL ALBATROSS and a WANDERING ALBATROSS off Ohau Point.

After lunch in Kaikoura, we pretty much just blitzed down to Gore Bay (Not even stopping at St Annes Lagoon, though we did note a lone CAPE BARREN GOOSE from the road) where we wanted to spend the afternoon doing next to nothing. Here we were staying in the old school house which was really neat. In the evening we walked the beach and checked out a lagoon near the north end which had a good mix of waterfowl. Out to sea it was neat to catch a flock of around 25 SIPO migrating southward, and there were also several feeding flocks of FAIRY PRIONS mixed in with lesser numbers of HUTTON'S SHEARWATERS.

The following morning, we continued along the Gore Bay 'tourist drive' past the old Port Robinson (where a cock RING-NECKED PHEASANT was showing off), and to the mouth of the Hurunui River. Lisa and I were both stricken with how similar the Hurunui mouth is to the Mohaka mouth up in Hawkes Bay. Both involve an approach from the north along fertile terraces overlooking the river valley, before finally ending at a bluff on the north side overlooking a river with a rocky mudbar in the middle of the river, then a long channel that runs north up the coast, paralleling a stony spit before seeping indirectly into the sea. The bird makeup was also similar, as several hundred BLACK-BILLED GULLS and WHITE-FRONTED TERNS (and lesser numbers of RED-BILLED) were gearing up to nest on the spit (in essentially an identical position to the ones at the Mohaka). On the muddy bar was also a lone BANDED DOTTEREL and several BLACK-FRONTED DOTTERELS, and also nice to see were around 8 BLACK-FRONTED TERNS.

Ended the day by exploring downtown Christchurch (our first visit since their earthquake as well). We were both quite impressed. After hearing so much about the delays in rebuilding etc., the downtown seemed to be filled with locals and tourists enjoying a variety of eateries, shopping, and just business in general. We tried Hagley Park for a bit (no Little Owl) but still a great place for a stroll, then enjoyed an evening catching up with friends who live in the area.

Our final full day in Christchurch was spent out around the Banks Peninsula, first around Akaroa, then later around Lyttelton. We stopped briefly near Kaituna Lagoon where I had found a MARSH CRAKE and we did bag the COCKATOOS up Price's Valley (including a bird in a poplar cavity) but otherwise this was more of a non-birding day of sight-seeing, windowshopping, and ice cream consumption. Cool to see Alex getting more and more into her Larid ID, as she enjoyed pointing out every Red-billed and Black-backed Gull that flew over us in Lyttelton---shorebirds next!

Flew out the following morning so I think that's pretty much it! If you've read this whole thing, good on ya!

Russ, Lisa, and Alex Cannings
Morrinsville. NZ
David Riddell

Re: Family Roadie: Canty & West Coast +

Postby David Riddell » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 am

Annette, Iris and I are just back from a South Island family road trip of our own, and I thought I'd post a summary of it here rather than starting a new thread - really enjoyed reading of your adventures Russ! The focus of the trip was on the Karamea/Heaphy Track area (7 nights) and Stewart Island (five nights) with a lot of big travel days in between.

First day was a quick blast down to Wellington to catch the ferry, though we did fit in a visit to Lake Papaitonga near Levin, our first visit to this amazing place. Not too many birds, though did hear peafowl in the distance (not sure if they're feral or not), and in other wildlife there was a banded kokopu in a small stream and a nice large ground beetle (possibly Mecodema crenaticolle, though bigger than I've seen them in the Waikato). At the ferry terminal there was a blue penguin just off shore while we were waiting to board, and then as I've posted elsewhere we had a very interesting ferry crossing, going the long way round past the Brothers and through the main opening to Queen Charlotte Sound, with distant views of KING SHAGS on a roost, and many sooty shearwaters and common diving petrels at the mouth of the sound. There was also a LITTLE SHEARWATER at the entrance to Wellington Harbour, the first I've seen from the ferry.

Next day we took a slight detour through Mapua to look for AUSTRALIAN WOOD DUCKS and spotted a drake at the Playhouse pond before we were even out of the car (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5523&p=41237). Then on to Karamea. Rained all the next day and we did very little, then hiked in to the Heaphy Hut for two nights. Highlight of our time there was GREAT SPOTTED KIWI (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8724&p=41270). We ambled up the Heaphy River as far as the Gunner River, with amazing numbers of birds the whole way, including a noisy flock of about 30 tui that briefly flew into a flowering kowhai above us before carrying on up the valley. Also a pair of GREY DUCK showing nice green speculums without white borders not far above the hut, and scattered nesting pied shags, plus of course many weka, especially around the hut. There were however some notable absences - didn't encounter any riflemen, kaka or parakeets, and only a couple of brown creeper. Heard one distant kea from the hut. Tried without success one evening to find some crakes in the large wetland just south of the hut, but did find some SOUTH ISLAND FERNBIRDS.

Our remaining time in Karamea included a trip into the Oparara Basin, which is truly spectacular. There was a pair of BLUE DUCKS beside the Moria Gate, and two more pairs (one chasing the other) flying along the river further upstream. Big numbers of South Island robin and other common bush birds, with a few kea flying overhead, but again no riflemen, parakeets or kaka and only a few brown creeper. Also had a short visit to the Karamea estuary, no real surprises, but beautifully clean, white sand, very unlike the muddy northern estuaries.

On the way out we had a brief stop on the Denniston Plateau in perfect weather: few birds, but historically fascinating. A stop for lunch at Punakaiki (breeding white-fronted terns and red-billed gulls), then to Arthur's Pass for the night. We stayed at the Snowgrass Cabin at the south end of the village, which featured a RIFLEMAN NEST just outside the front door, between two planks in a garden retaining wall. I took the photo below with my very ordinary camera (Nikon P610) out the kitchen window, struggling with the strong light and shadow, but if any keen bird photographers out there are looking to get good rifleman pictures this would be a good place for it. Very few kea around (a couple flying overhead); DoC's discouragement of feeding seems to be having an effect.

Annette spotted a NEW ZEALAND FALCON flying overhead near the Mt White bridge, then we had a brief stop at Lake Pearson where no crested grebes were in evidence. Another stop for lunch at Rakaia Gorge where there were several black-fronted terns hawking along the river. There were four CATTLE EGRETS around a water trough close to the road just south of the Waihao River (north of Oamaru), but we pressed on to Dunedin for the night. An early start to catch the Stewart Island ferry, which had few birds other than diving petrels and sooty shearwaters, and an afternoon walk at Fern Gully, which was sheltered from the strong northerlies.

Another day of excellent weather followed, and we took the opportunity to visit Ulva Island. We'd met up with friends for the Stewart Island leg of the trip, mostly non-birders, but they were enthralled by the birdlife there. I can't think of anywhere that has a higher density of bush birds; in particular it was great to have RED-CROWNED AND YELLOW-CROWNED PARAKEETS side by side, and assure myself it really is possible to distinguish them on calls, as well as size and body plumage colour. Also very good numbers of YELLOWHEADS and SADDLEBACKS, with a high proportion of juveniles among the latter. Only saw and heard a couple of tomtits, despite being described in the Ulva Is booklet as one of the commonest birds - I suspect the robins are pushing them out. Kaka were everywhere, and there were four blue penguins in Sydney Cove. A couple of days later we went back to Ulva and it was every bit as good, apart from passing squalls (with hail!); there was also a bull sea lion on the beach near the wharf.

Had a couple of evening hunts for TOKOEKA around the town and Traill Park. On the second of these we'd basically given up for the night and were heading home, when we spotted one bumbling along the waterfront (Elgin Tce) under the street lights! It was startled by our group and disappeared into a small patch of shrubs at the bottom end of Ayr St (crossing an atlas square boundary in the process). The following morning Annette and I were awake at 4.45am so headed back up the hill to Traill Park. Using my infra-red scope (also used for the Heaphy Hut great spotted kiwi - like this one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000113 ... b201603_52) I found a tokoeka in the middle of the rugby field digging for worms. It was quite unconcerned and wandered right up to us since we were showing next to no light, though it was clearly startled when I opened the velcro on my raincoat pocket to get my camera out to take a photo of the screen (I suspect the Traill Park birds have become very wary, as there is a constant stream of people wandering around in the evenings with cellophane-covered torches). But it hung around, and I got the photo below, which believe it or not is completely unedited apart from cropping. When we left it was still happily feeding. Tried again the following morning with one of our friends who wanted to join us (he'd missed the Elgin Tce sighting), but no luck that time - intermittent rain didn't help.

The ferry trip north also had few birds of note, the best being white-capped and Buller's mollymawks. Tried that evening for a Fiordland crested penguin that had been seen in Oamaru but heard later it had gone to a Dunedin animal hospital. Gave a friend a ride to West Melton (inland from Christchurch) from Oamaru and on his recommendation tried for cirl buntings along McLeans Island Rd, but without success. Stopped at St Anne's Lagoon on the way north and eventually found the CAPE BARREN GEESE in pouring rain (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8756&p=41462) and arrived late in Kaikoura for the night. We had an Albatross Encounter trip booked for the next day, but with a cold southerly whipping up the sea the skipper barely poked his nose out of the harbour before returning and giving us full refunds. But we did see a few WANDERING ALBATROSS, as well as hundreds of HUTTON'S SHEARWATER and a SALVIN'S MOLLYMAWK, also NORTHERN GIANT PETRELS and CAPE PIGEONS. So not a bad result in the end; with bright sunshine and fresh snow on the Seaward Kaikouras it was an enjoyable, if brief excursion.

Not so much luck the next day, with no northern shovelers or hoary-headed grebes at Lake Elterwater, partially compensated for by our first South Island DABCHICKS and the first CRESTED GREBES of the trip. Also dipped on glossy ibises at Dillons Point Rd and the Blenheim wastewater ponds, though it was good to have the opportunity to meet Will Parsons and pick his brains on the best local spots. Then it was up to Picton, and the ferry the next morning. There was another KING SHAG just inside the inner entrance to Tory Channel near a mussel farm, distant but in good light the white underside and all-black head were clearly visible. Few birds in the strait, though managed a few WESTLAND PETRELS, fluttering shearwaters and white-capped mollymawks for the atlas project.

So a brilliant trip all round, with some fantastic birds, including two lifers for Annette and me (Australian wood duck and great spotted kiwi) and five more for Iris (little shearwater, king shag, tokoeka, Cape Barren goose, Salvin's mollymawk, Hutton's shearwater). For anyone who's managed to get to the end of this, thanks for reading!
Tokoeka 20191021_061320.jpg
Tokoeka, Stewart Island, photo of IR screen
Tokoeka 20191021_061320.jpg (618.68 KiB) Viewed 209 times
DSCN5784.JPG
Male rifleman at nest entrance, Snowgrass Cabin, Arthur's Pass
DSCN5784.JPG (573.37 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks guys for the great reports.
Nice Rifleman shot!

Cheers
Jim
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Great write-up David and Annette. Really enjoyed the read.

Russ

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”