possible Cuculus Cuckoo near Christchurch today

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland

possible Cuculus Cuckoo near Christchurch today

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi folks, probably long gone and never to be seen again, but this morning while driving near Ladbrooks School, in the vicinity of Tai Tapu and Halswell SE of Christchurch, a bird that just had to be an Oriental Cuckoo or a similar species flew east to west across the road and disappeared through some trees. At first instant I thought "cool, a Long-tailed Cuckoo, don't see them in the Canterbury countryside very often, and then moments later, I thought, "wait a minute, that was a long tail but not long enough for a Long-tailed Cuckoo, in size and structure it looked like an Oriental/Eurasian Cuckoo or maybe one of the longer tailed medium-sized Australian ones. I went back a little later and listened for a while but nothing heard. Phil Crutchley and Niall Mugan were going to have a look later. Anyway, just in case anyone feels lucky and wants to chance their luck the location is shown on the map and photo below: Near corner of Mcdrurys Road and Leadleys Rd.

cuckoo map.JPG
cuckoo map.JPG (115.64 KiB) Viewed 931 times

Cuckoo 1.JPG
Cuckoo 1.JPG (54.77 KiB) Viewed 931 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”