(South Island) Spotless crake, marsh crake, northern shoveler & hoary headed grebes

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Mtn Breeze

(South Island) Spotless crake, marsh crake, northern shoveler & hoary headed grebes

Postby Mtn Breeze » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Back in early June I was at Lake Elterwater (early morning) looking for the reported marsh crake that had been seen there. A half hour of patient waiting was rewarded with a sighting.
20 minutes later I noticed another movement back in the raupo. A few moments later and out popped the owner ... a spotless crake !!
I have been on the look out for a South Island spotless crake for years so was stoked to find this one. (Only other recent confirmed sighting that I know of is over in Golden Bay ... thanks to Bradley). I managed a series of great photos of the bird as well as some video. I'm also 90% sure I heard another one calling behind me while one was in my sight.

And just yesterday (17 September) I stopped in on my way back from Wanaka late in the day. There were two or three hundred Australasian shovelers on the lake and among them, a Northern shoveler. ( I think this bird has been seen before).
There were also four hoary headed grebes and a couple of Southern crested grebes.

Matt.

1. Spotless crake

4. Northern shoveler

5. Hoary headed grebes

8. And a not so flash one of a flying hoary

9. Marsh crake

At least it's not raining !!

http://www.wildnaturenewzealand.co.nz/
Oscar Thomas

Re: (South Island) Spotless crake, marsh crake, northern shoveler & hoary headed grebes

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Superb shots Matt! Well done
www.oscarthomas.nz - NZ List (214) Chukar, Mt John
Adam C

Re: (South Island) Spotless crake, marsh crake, northern shoveler & hoary headed grebes

Postby Adam C » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Great stuff!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Finn Davey

Postby Finn Davey » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Lovely images
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 pm

That's a good haul and great photos! Was this all from the viewing platform at the lake?
Mtn Breeze

Postby Mtn Breeze » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Yip, it was from the platform.
The water level is much higher now than when I saw it/them so the area they were feeding in is now under water. And, I havn’t actually seen them again since.

Matt
At least it's not raining !!

http://www.wildnaturenewzealand.co.nz/

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”