Black-billed gulls: any influx noted?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Joanna10

Black-billed gulls: any influx noted?

Postby Joanna10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Has anyone noted any recent influx of black-billed gulls in the last 2-3 weeks particularly in the Kaikoura area? We have had a large number overwintering here in the Wairarapa around the eastern side of the Lake on wet pasture. Numbers of 500-800 have been recorded. Our resident colony only numbers about 200. The large group has suddenly disappeared and we would love to know if they have headed off somewhere to breed. We suspect they may have come from the Clarence/Kaikoura area as in previous years we have seen one or two banded birds here from that area.
Any information would be welcome.
Patrick Crowe

Re: Black-billed gulls: any influx noted?

Postby Patrick Crowe » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:49 am

Hi Joanna

Just went down to the Clarence yesterday to check if the black-bills had begun nesting there but there were no birds present. Then checked Kekerengu (where they have bred before) and no luck there either. Eventually I found them at the Ure/Waima River mouth. ~110 birds present and half a dozen well formed nests. Plenty of mating and nest building observed too so looks like they will nest there this season. According to Mike they haven't bred there for ~15 years. Will be visiting there fairly regularly to continue band resighting. I imagine that since they are just setting up to breed there, their numbers will increase.
Joanna10

Re: Black-billed gulls: any influx noted?

Postby Joanna10 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks for that information Patrick. I hope that colony is successful. If you see any orange-banded birds we would love to know as they were banded here (Wairarapa).
Still a mystery then as to where our large group went.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”