15 Australasian Little Grebes on Whangarei Lake

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
ourspot

15 Australasian Little Grebes on Whangarei Lake

Postby ourspot » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:33 pm

This week I found a small lake in Whangarei with 15 Australasian Little Grebes on it. Most were paired off and calling to each other and there are currently 4 floating nest sites. While I was there I was lucky enough that a grebe laid an egg on one of the nests. I couldn’t tell if there were other eggs on any other nests as they had birds sitting on them.

15 Australasian Little Grebe at one location seems pretty impressive considering there’s estimated to only be a couple hundred of them in New Zealand.

Here's some images of the Australasian Little Grebe pair which were pretty pleased with themselves after just laying an egg on their floating island nest.

There was also 4 NZ Dabchicks as well who seemed to be doing courting routines.

Cheers
Scott
Australasian Little Grebe_Tikipunga_Oct19_FB_IMG_8113.jpg
Australasian Little Grebe pair calling just after laying egg.
Australasian Little Grebe_Tikipunga_Oct19_FB_IMG_8113.jpg (676.51 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Australasian Little Grebe_Tikipunga_Oct19_FB_IMG_8115.jpg
Australasian Little Grebe adjusting freshly laid egg on nest
Australasian Little Grebe_Tikipunga_Oct19_FB_IMG_8115.jpg (679.28 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Australasian Little Grebe_Tikipunga_Oct19_FB_IMG_8053.jpg
Australasian Little Grebe pair getting ready for mating
Australasian Little Grebe_Tikipunga_Oct19_FB_IMG_8053.jpg (857.31 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: 15 Australasian Little Grebes on Whangarei Lake

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:43 am

Nice one Scott. That first photo is particularly good.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”