Odd Godwit at Embankment Road

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Adam C

Odd Godwit at Embankment Road

Postby Adam C » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:08 pm

Ok I thought I was going nuts and just kept telling myself this was a Godwit but the beak looked shorter and so did the legs. And then when a BTG actually came into shot you can see the size difference. But it fits NOTHING I can think of.
Any ideas? Is it just a short billed, short legged BT Godwit? :D :D
Odd God.jpg
Odd God.jpg (652.58 KiB) Viewed 254 times
Last edited by Adam C on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Re: Odd Godwit at Embankment Road

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Its just a Bar-tailed Godwit unfortunately, small juv male by the looks of it.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Yeah was just chatting to David Thomas who concluded the same thing. I've learnt something ;) I've just never seen one with such a short snoz.

Thanks Andrew
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
philbattley

Postby philbattley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:41 am

Photo 5 is deceptive as you can't see the whole bill, but male bills are generally 70-95 mm long and females mostly 95-130 mm but with some overlap around 90-95 mm. So the difference between the smallest male and the largest female is huge.
Phil
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks Phil. Somehow the whole juvenile godwit thing has been off my radar all these years! Sometimes the basics can trip us up. Everything in me said it was a BTG but the bill, size and leg length kept digging me in the ribs. Thought I'd post for confirmation.
It's probably more troubling that I haven't noticed them before. I often skip over the BTG looking for the smaller migrants so time I paid them more attention and this has been a good school up :)

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”