Brown Teal in Te Aroha

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Brown Teal in Te Aroha

Postby RussCannings » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Earlier this year I was thrilled to find a single Brown Teal at the Morrinsville sewage lagoons (possibly the furthest south Waikato record in many decades). That bird did not stick around and it's fate--unknown. On Friday evening I checked out the Te Aroha sewage lagoons (Accessible via gravel track just north of Te Aroha, west of the hwy. It is a public access to the Hauraki Rail Trail cycle-way so access is not nearly as sketchy as other poo ponds around the country!)-----and anyway, there was a single Brown Teal. Like the Miranda birds (and Tim's Little Waihi teal), I would assume these birds are dispersing out of the (robust?) north Coromandel/Great Barrier populations. Not sure if this indicates population growth or simply better coverage but interesting to think about.

Also a first for the site was a lone spoonbill (not bad for a small concrete-fringed poo tank!)

This spot is worth a check for anyone passing through. Check out the hotspot info here: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L7181737

Russ

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”