Little Egret , Spoonbills , Manawatu Estuary .

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
jfmbirds

Little Egret , Spoonbills , Manawatu Estuary .

Postby jfmbirds » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:52 pm

I was at the Manawatu Estuary , Foxton , from 2 pm today , about a half hour walk before another heavy shower came through .Warm but very overcast ; tide well out with acres of mudflats exposed , only a little water in the channels .I spotted 2 Royal Spoonbills , about opposite the Foxton Beach Motels , small viewing platform .Had just started taking photos when another similar white bird flew in . Soon saw it was not a Spoonbill ; a Little Egret joined the group . The smaller Spoonbill , a non coloured young bird , moved away but the big , well coloued , breeding marked big bird and the Egret stayed together for the 40 minutes I was there before the next heavy shower arrived .Spotted a solo B T Godwit , well out on the flats , as I returned to the car .
Is this possibly the same Little Egret spotted here in October .?
jfmbirds

Re: Little Egret , Spoonbills , Manawatu Estuary .

Postby jfmbirds » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Hope these photos stick , - still learning the system .
IMG_5238.jpg
IMG_5238.jpg (163.56 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
IMG_5215.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg (176.69 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
IMG_5021.jpg
IMG_5021.jpg (113.59 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”