Young Shovellers - ?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
jfmbirds

Young Shovellers - ?

Postby jfmbirds » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Several evenings this week I have walked around the Waimea Lagoons , Waikanae River estuary .A good assortment of many ducks and swans .On Thursday evening the mix included several Australasian Shovellers , drifting in the center of the most Northern lagoon , - I have seen them in all lagoons at different times .
On Friday evening , no Shovellers anywhere - but these four little guys in the Northern lagoon . I am assuming they are Shovellers , the oversize beaks were so distinctive and quite a standout .They confidently swam through a group of Scaup , - where unfazed by the big swans and moved out of site across the lagoon . No adults in site in over an hour observing .
This evening , no sign of Shovellers , big or small . The smalls were to young to be fledged but could very easily be out of view .
Very distinctive and photogenic .

Cheers John .
IMG_4194.jpg
IMG_4194.jpg (261.11 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
IMG_4189.jpg
IMG_4189.jpg (296.58 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4161.jpg (211.98 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
RussCannings

Re: Young Shovellers - ?

Postby RussCannings » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 am

You're absolutely right John. Nice capture of the little cuties.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”