Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland
Posts: 1306
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Another thing that would be great to see if this record is accepted is a short note for Notornis along the lines of "First record for the South Island, second record for NZ of Buff-breasted sandpiper, along the lines of the Cox's sandpiper note that Eleanor Gunby wrote a few years ago:
https://www.notornis.osnz.org.nz/node/4409. This does not have to be overly scientific and dry, it could include a short narrative of how your son found the bird, the photos taken and the key field marks that identify the bird. Again, a way to put the find into "ornithological legend".

On to the search for this bird - With this second thunder/lightning storm crossing central Canterbury as I write, lets hope the bird stays put?!!

cheers
kelly111
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby kelly111 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:48 pm

andrewcrossland wrote:Another thing that would be great to see if this record is accepted is a short note for Notornis along the lines of "First record for the South Island, second record for NZ of Buff-breasted sandpiper, along the lines of the Cox's sandpiper note that Eleanor Gunby wrote a few years ago:
https://www.notornis.osnz.org.nz/node/4409. This does not have to be overly scientific and dry, it could include a short narrative of how your son found the bird, the photos taken and the key field marks that identify the bird. Again, a way to put the find into "ornithological legend".

On to the search for this bird - With this second thunder/lightning storm crossing central Canterbury as I write, lets hope the bird stays put?!!

cheers
Yes i hope it stays put.as the storm is getting bad out there..i will do the record thing for it tonight.and put down as much info as i can.we watched it for about 30-40 mins.i have mayby 40-50 photos of it..so will put some more up tonight..
sjacques
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 pm

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby sjacques » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:27 pm

The Buff-breasts I've seen in Britain have been fresh autumn juveniles, but I totally agree with others; that's a BBS all day long. Shape and structure of the bird are really distinctive. Well done to the finder, and excellent pictures!
User avatar
RussCannings
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:23 am

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby RussCannings » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:23 pm

On a possibly related note, British Columbia (which is west of the main Buff-breasted Sandpiper autumn flyway) typically gets 1-3 juvs somewhere on the coast each year with around 1-2 in the interior (so rare but regular). This has been a somewhat predictable pattern over the last decade. This past autumn however saw much larger numbers with around 30+ on the coast and around 10 in the interior. Signs of a bumper breeding season in the arctic hopefully? Might be connected with this bird so thought I'd chuck it out there.
kelly111
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby kelly111 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Was out tonight with Bev Alexander but no luck. Had a good look around for about one+ hrs. It was cold and a bit rainy.but will have a go tomorrow night. I hope it's still there.
kelly111
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby kelly111 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:45 pm

RussCannings wrote:Yep, definitely a Buff-breasted. Tibia-length alone is a big give-away. The small rounded head with a big looking eye is great for Buff-breasted whereas juvenile ruff/reeve (which this bird would have to be if a ruff based on the broad buffy edging to feathers and buffy underparts) have dark eye-strips and a head stripe. Ruff/reeves are also just longer-necked and winged with hump-backs and their bills are longer than this bird. All of the Buff-breasteds I've seen in my life have been fresh juvs in Aug-Oct so would need to look into this a bit more regarding worn juv v adult. Would be interested to hear from anyone else with experience aging these early (boreal) winter birds in South America or elsewhere. Flight shots will be helpful in nailing age.

Great find kelly!
here are some flight shots not the best photos but the best i got at 8pm last night so it was abit late..
KEL_5872.jpg
KEL_5872.jpg (486 KiB) Viewed 137 times
KEL_5858.jpg
KEL_5858.jpg (593.13 KiB) Viewed 182 times
KEL_5873.jpg
KEL_5873.jpg (367.39 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Last edited by kelly111 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Adam C
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 am

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby Adam C » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Hmmm...Doesn't this put it in Reeve territory? Although bill still looks too short and structure too squat for Reeve.
Image below from the Helm Guide, Waders of Europe, Asia & Nth America.
20191120_215647f.jpg
20191120_215647f.jpg (307.09 KiB) Viewed 164 times
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
kelly111
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby kelly111 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Adam C wrote:Hmmm...Doesn't this put it in Reeve territory? Although bill still looks too short and structure too squat for Reeve.
Image below from the Helm Guide, Waders of Europe, Asia & Nth America.
its a hard one.
User avatar
Adam C
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 am

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby Adam C » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi Kelly can you pop that 2nd flight shot back up? It doesn't make it any less of a Buff Breasted Sandpiper and really important for ID purposes. We're all 99% on it :) Its an epic wee bird you've found!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
kelly111
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Re: Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Ashley Estuary Canterbury

Postby kelly111 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:40 pm

Adam C wrote:Hi Kelly can you pop that 2nd flight shot back up? It doesn't make it any less of a Buff Breasted Sandpiper and really important for ID purposes. We're all 99% on it :) Its an epic wee bird you've found!
hi yep I just trying to edit it to make it a bit more clearer before I put it back up.will have it done soon.. Hope it will be easier to see

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”