Little Owl sites

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
erikforsyth

Little Owl sites

Postby erikforsyth » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:46 pm

Evening all

I would be grateful for any regular sites for Little Owl in the Southland, Invercargill and Dunedin areas

cheers
Erik
Page1234

Re: Little Owl sites

Postby Page1234 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:59 pm

A little further north than Dunedin sorry but regular around Farilie on the Opihi gorge track plus a pair of NZ falcons.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:52 pm

St. Clair Golf Course and along the Otago Peninsula are semi-reliable Dunedin sites. Queens Park in Invercargill also good.
kiwi mukiwa

Postby kiwi mukiwa » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:23 am

It is worth looking in/at the stands of tall trees planted as windbreaks on farms, close to Wyndham/Edendale/Seaward Downs, the Waipapa point lighthouse and in the Mokoreta district. My guess is that they are regular in these sorts of habitats across the district, but data are lacking because we haven't searched for them specifically. I've seen Little Owls in this area reasonably regularly, including birds killed on the road and farmer friends in this area often report Little Owls in their empty sheds, if they leave a window open. They are often quite confiding and mostly visible about 1/2 hour before dark. They can be seen on overcast days during the day, sometimes on the transmission poles next to the road, and not necessarily high up, but also on fence posts.
Luke515

Postby Luke515 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:45 pm

Pretty sure there were little owls on a farm I worked on in Centre Bush / South Hillend area in Southland. They were nesting in Granddaddy Pines throughout the farm. They were too small to be moreporks and had a much different song. There's a good number of them in that area and seemed to be around the big old pine trees. Even had one sitting on a pigtail standard watching me reel in a fence!
erikforsyth

Postby erikforsyth » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:17 pm

Many thanks for everyone's gen re Little owl sites around Southland and Dunedin.

cheers
Erik

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”