Tauranga Harbour (North) Shorebirds

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Tauranga Harbour (North) Shorebirds

Postby RussCannings » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:48 pm

This will likely only be of interest to Waikato/Bay of Plenty birders (Caution--No rarities to report!)

The Tauranga Harbour is a massive tidal area with lots of godwits and other birds----yet it seems to get very little birding attention. And yes--I include myself as part of the problem as it's only just over an hour to get to this area from where I live yet I still not very little about the roost locations, movements, diversity of this area. Part of the issue (as I understand it), is that some of the primary wader roosts for godwits (and friends) are only accessible by boat (e.g. Shellbank islands or part of Matakana Island). Even so, there still seem to be plenty of spots where birds can be seen close to shore, so slowly but surely I've been trying to wrap my head around WHAT is out there, and WHERE do they go at different tide states.

So far I have been concentrating on the Katikati/Athenree/Bowentown end of the Harbour, where birds are quite accessible at low tides in Shelly Bay (directly in front of Athenree/Bowentown), as well as at several points along the SW shoreline. At higher tides it gets a little trickier so I've made a quick map to illustrate my notes. Tactical notes first, then the actual species involved toward the end.
Athenree.PNG
Athenree.PNG (1008.63 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Low tide: Birds are quite spread out but easy to view from the Bowentown and Athenree waterfront, as well as off the beach and adjacent bay at Tuapiro Pt reserve.

Rising from mid-level tide: Birds start to concentrate on the NW flats of Shelly Bay (green circles). A footpath at the end of Sandleigh Dr allows foot access to the northerly green area. Mud is fairly firm so fine for walking on barefoot or with mud shoes etc. Alternatively, the scope views from the gravel path at the estuary edge is sufficient for identifying nearby birds (Best around 3 to 2 hours before high tide). An even better location (though less convenient access) where larger numbers of waders seem to concentrate is the other green circle which is accessible on foot from the end of Bridgeman Lane. This involves a muddy trot along a path through the mangroves, but once beyond the mangroves the mud is harder/sandier and easier to walk on. As a rising tide approaches roughly 2 hours pre-high tide, this area seems to generally be one of the better shorebirding areas. Gradually the tide pushes birds onto little muddy islets, or closer to the mangroves--and on high tides that are quite low, they can sometimes roost along the mangroves. Usually though the tide swamps this area and they head to the roosts near Tuapiro Point (Godwits/Knots--red circles)--or the shellbanks (Mainly oystercatchers and turnstones--blue circle).

High tide: If the tide is not particularly high, the two red circled areas tend to be the favoured roosts for the godwits/knots, and if they're on the inland side of Tuapiro Pt, it is easy to wade up to them for an easy scope, or wait until after high tide when you can stride over the mud just before they start heading out again. If you don't like getting wet at all, you can wait at Tuapiro Pt Domain carpark and they will fly directly over you to the yellow-circled areas which seem to be their favoured post high tide feeding stop. UNFORTUNATELY, they do not concistently roost at that inland spot, so sometimes on lower high tides, they can be at the other red circled area (boat access only), or on higher highs, they join the oystercatchers on the high shellbanks (blue circle) which is also boat access only. ***with a good scope on days where heat haze isn't a factor, it is possible to get semi-decent views of those blue shellbanks if you scope from the Bowentown Boat Club--or better yet (if you have time for a walk)--the western section of the Bowentown Domain.

Post high tide: As mentioned previously, the yellow areas seem to be the first feeding stop after the tides begin to recede. The more westerly area can be walked to from Tuapiro Pt, but the other one is boat access only.

So what is actually out there?

Present daily and year-round: Red-billed & Black-backed Gulls (Nest on shellbanks), Caspian Tern, Variable Oystercatcher, WF Heron, Pied and Little Pied Shags

Present year-round but more abundant outside summer: Royal Spoonbill, South Island Pied Oystercatcher, Banded Dotterel, NZ Dotterel (on the outer beaches in summer)

Regular in summer and uncommon to rare in winter: Red Knot & Ruddy Turnstone

The latter were the least known to me as my anecdotal birding from around the harbour previously had noted very few at any one time (and most visits would turn up zero of both). On my most recent visit however (to the Bridgeman Lane mudflats), I counted 121 Red Knot (Highest ever ebird knot total north of Matahui Point--south of Katikati), and 103 turnstone (the previous ebird high count for anywhere in the Tauranga Harbour was 31). Given that both of these counts were not even at high tide roosts, actual numbers could be much higher. I have not yet found anything too unusual in this area, though an Eastern Curlew two winters ago probably was the best. I'm sure if more people pop in for a look, and if I can make more time to survey it more than once a year-- there could be all sorts of fun things lurking around.

---Next (personal) project will be the central and southern sections of Tauranga Harbour!

***This is likely old news to local shorebird surveyors but since that data is not yet on ebird/NZ Bird atlas (and generally not shared on this forum) I thought it might be handy to post this in case others are looking to check out this wonderful area.

Sigh--now back to work on Wednesday!

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
Adam C

Re: Tauranga Harbour (North) Shorebirds

Postby Adam C » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:21 am

Nice work Russ!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:12 am

Thanks Russ, its been a few years since I've been to some of these sites - thanks for the timely reminder to get out there again.

One of the challenges of the harbour is that many of these and other roosts are highly tide dependent as you say. The birds move from one to another based on tide height and sometimes, wind direction. A classic example is Matahui Pt, arrive 20 mins too early and there's not a godwit in sight, arrive 20 minutes late and its the same. Get it right and you are treated to 3-7000 Godwit!

The smaller waders are notoriously difficult to track down (PGPs included). One area that I would love to get to more often are the roosts on the inner edge of Matakana Island. But accessing them is fraught with difficulty ...

As you say, it is a wonderful area and a great place for intrepid birders to explore in more depth...

Cheers

Tim
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Absolutely Tim,

I hit Matahui on on the same day as these other sites recently but only had around 700 godwit and 1 knot (initially none, but then this "smaller" group touched down.

Russ

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”