Gull-billed Terns Nesting

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Steve Wood

Re: Gull-billed Terns Nesting

Postby Steve Wood » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi Neil,

As far as I'm aware David has it correct, however NZBO does mention the two ssp but not in any up- to- date detail:
"The Australian form macrotarsa visits New Zealand periodically. The Asian form affinis is regularly seen in Australia and could potentially occur here too."

With respect, NZBO, which is a fantastic resource and great effort by all involved,it is unfortunately particularly slow with any major updates in changing taxonomy, which I see as essential and will require regular updates which aren’t forthcoming.

South Georgian Diving Petrel page is another example that is very much in need of an update???

http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/whenua-hou-diving-petrel-pelecanoides-whenuahouensis?fbclid=IwAR0dmzxKqN_Npi54oxBD13oS0i_CGpW1bI1MgUkcZYRuS_O9UfhKI4ERC58

Stewart Island Shag…. doesn’t exist any more!........still yet to be updated, especially for all the new overseas birders coming with their UP-TO-DATE checklists.

This in turn could also have a knock-on effect with inaccurate e-bird reports. It seems we can't all be on the same page which is a real shame.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Yes, NZBO follows the NZ Checklist, which is in need of an update. Colin knows this. But, I'm not sure that religiously following an overseas list is always the best answer either.
If "Aus tern" has just been elevated from subspecies to species, that's just a name change and should have no impact on correctly identifying taxon, as long as the correct ssp is used.
I guess Ian could add the name Australian tern for macrotarsa on his NZBO page.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Coming back from D'Urville Island I was informed by the ferryman that gull-billed tern are seen regularly around Kapowai and French Pass and have breed regularly in the last 2 years. He believes he has positively identified re books.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 am

Just curious. Any sign of a repeat attempt?

Ian
sjacques

Postby sjacques » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi Ian,

I was out on the spit in question on 03/11, no sign then.

Cheers,
Sean.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:30 pm

It was not mentioned in my recent crossings.
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:45 pm

Unfortunately GB terns may changed their addresses, due bad experience regarding their too aggressive neighbors Kelp gulls and people nearly drove a ute over their nest.

We have to wait for juvenile GB terns to fly ...they will look like nonbreeding GB terns, but with pale brown juvenile scapulars & mantle and following the parent birds.
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi all, Joseph Bliss reports via EBird that the gull-billed terns are still in the Invercargill area and have successfully bred as they have a juvenile they are feeding. Fantastic news!

https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S82244236
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:52 pm

Fantastic news!...Happy parents GBT with their one New Zealand-bred chick.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Totally with Clinton on this one. Might have bred with the Caspians there. Probably safer than the gulls. Parents must be getting on a bit though. Fairly significant record so be good if someone could keep an eye on it.

Ian

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”