Tree/Fairy Martin at Bromley Oxidation Ponds

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland

Tree/Fairy Martin at Bromley Oxidation Ponds

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi folks, I was at Bromley Oxidation Ponds, CHCH today and noticed a swallow with a prominent white rump in flight. It landed with other swallows on the flowering stalks of a flax bush, where the white rump was very obvious. As I was trying to focus my camera a flock of starlings landed on the flax bush and flushed the swalllows. I only had brief glimpses of the bird. The rump was very prominent. There was no white on the tail and this was not the semi-resident partial albino half-white tailed swallow. I did not see the front or undersides. I txt a few locals and Niall Mugan and Eleanor Gunby arrived shortly after. We looked for half an hour or so at 100+ swallows feeding over ponds 1 and 2, and roosting on the outlet structure and along southern shoreline of pond 2. Bird not re-sighted in that time, but there's a good chance that a search of roosts at dusk will find it.
Not sure on the ID as yet.

Map below

green = spot seen roosting briefly
purple = other roosts being used by swallows
red = area where most swallows feeding

martin 1.JPG
martin 1.JPG (49.98 KiB) Viewed 534 times
BruceW

Re: Tree/Fairy Martin at Bromley Oxidation Ponds

Postby BruceW » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:38 am

Based on habitat, more likely a Fairy Martin. They often nest under culverts at wetlands close to where I live whereas Tree Martin are sometimes seen flying over the wetlands, usually quite high up and would be seen more often in open fields and wooded areas. The FM has a whiter rump that the TM.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:08 am

BruceW wrote:Based on habitat, more likely a Fairy Martin. They often nest under culverts at wetlands close to where I live whereas Tree Martin are sometimes seen flying over the wetlands, usually quite high up and would be seen more often in open fields and wooded areas. The FM has a whiter rump that the TM.

Except there was a Tree Martin seen there a few years ago as well: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6530
https://www.instagram.com/oscarkokako/ - NZ List (206) Lesser Sand Plover, Miranda, Waikato
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi folks, I had a check yesterday back at the site - many swallows but the mystery martin didn't show itself. Hopefully its there somewhere?

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”