Greenshank, Wolfe's Road Bay, Lake Ellesmere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Michael Szabo

Greenshank, Wolfe's Road Bay, Lake Ellesmere

Postby Michael Szabo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:30 am

Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) (1)
- Reported Dec 30, 2019 15:20 by Bev Alexander
- Lake Ellesmere(Te Waihora)--Wolfe's Road Bay, Selwyn District, Canterbury

https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S62764467
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Peter R

Re: Greenshank, Wolfe's Road Bay, Lake Ellesmere

Postby Peter R » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:10 am

The Greenshank was seen by Bev and I at the top of the bay with numerous Pied Stilt. Also present were 32 Barwits, 2 Black Tailed Godwit, 2 Wrybill, 12 Knot along with a few Bandies. There was a southerly blowing pushing water up into the Bay making it unsuitable for small waders. If the wind shifts around conditions should be good for early 2020.
Cheers,
Peter
Adam C

Re: Greenshank, Wolfe's Road Bay, Lake Ellesmere

Postby Adam C » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:27 am

Great find guys!

Nursing a not so pleasant hang over I made a pretty thorough search of the bay this morning (both sides) but couldn't find it. Only area i didnt check was the wee creek bay to the right off the main bay. it could be tucked up in there. I then checked Embankment Road almost back to Wolfes road also but no luck.

Hope somebody else can pick it up again soon! Im away in Auzzie for the next 11 days so I do hope it hangs around!

Exciting times for Canterbury birders at the moment!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”