MIRANDA from 2020

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Grahame

Re: MIRANDA from 2020

Postby Grahame » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:55 pm

Just two of us at Miranda this morning. We were treated to good views of the Hudwit being attacked by several Barwits giving great views of it in flight as well as on the ground. A Broad-bill was conveniently at the front of the Waybill flock, all this from the main hide. Four Sharpies on the stilt ponds, and a possible sighting of the Sand Plover by Paul just before it took flight. I would just like to publicly say how grateful I was to have Paul with me, probably due to my cardiac problem, I threw a wobbly and might not have got through without him, he even followed me home to keep an eye on me. Many thanks Paul.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Sat May 16, 2020 10:56 pm

This afternoon an adult Black-fronted Dotterel flew in just in front of the stilt hide and stayed for a minute or two before flying on.

Ian
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:24 pm

At Miranda today there was a near-pure Black Stilt, two other mostly-black hybrids and a couple dozen smudgy Pied ones. While counting the Wrybill flock from my photos using photoshop's 'count' tool (approx 1850), one appeared to have a patterned back which I believe to be an overwintering Red-necked Stint, or maybe even a long-staying Broad-billed Sandpiper. What do others think? It was also great to meet Bob as well as another keen younger birder out today Leo, and his mum Pam.

BlackStilt.OscarThomas.JPG
BlackStilt.OscarThomas.JPG (832.1 KiB) Viewed 178 times

sandpiper.JPG
sandpiper.JPG (206.95 KiB) Viewed 178 times
https://www.instagram.com/oscarkokako/ - NZ List (211) Common Greenshank, Riverton Estuary
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Hey Oscar,

I think the peep looks a bit too large for either of those birds in body size, compared to the wrybill? I wonder if it is a curlew sand perhaps sunk into the mud showing shorter legs? The greyish face that seems to be there would fit better also. I note all of the godwit have sunk into the mud and are showing shorter legs. But pretty hard from this image, are there recent sightings of the BBSP?

With regards to the stilt, regardless of the fact it appears almost all black, I would have thought it can't be put down as a black stilt on the basis that it is unbanded (didn't say that in your post, but does in the eBird lists submitted). I was under the impression that ALL 'real' black stilts are colour-banded? So should this not be reported as a Pied x Black (hybrid) in both eBird and here? Just asking the question more for clarity than anything else.

Nice spotting!
Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”