MIRANDA from 2020

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Grahame

MIRANDA from 2020

Postby Grahame » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:01 am

As has been suggested to me, I agree that now is a good time to start a new thread.
Cheers, Grahame
ledzep

Re: MIRANDA from 2020

Postby ledzep » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:58 pm

After some searching the Broad-billed Sandpiper was with the Wrybills in front of the Stilt hide (seems to disappear into the dips in the mud). At least 4 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper also on Stilt pond. (No sign of the mystery bird.) 34 Pacific Golden Plover on the northern side of the Stilt pond. One NZ Dotterel also on the Stilt Pond. Eastern Curlew well out from hide amongst the grass of the shell bank. At the Piako flood plain site there was a better view of an Eastern Curlew in the afternoon - also about 17 PGP, 1 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and 1 Turnstone, and 10+ Banded Dotterel in the afternoon near the Shelly Beach Road end. Anyone planning to visit make sure you park at the Shorebird centre - there were 3 cars broken in to and damaged at the other car park today.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:05 am

There was an eBird report of "2 Broad-billed Sandpipers" at Miranda on Tuesday but no photos:
"Visible for 30 minutes on edge of shellbank/mud".

Link: https://ebird.org/checklist/S63120398?f ... RUYilO-EKY
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:58 am

The Miranda web site has been showing two Broad bills for December, but not sure when it was changed from 1 to 2. but i noticed it before Christmas.
Cheers, Grahame
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:28 pm

I was at Miranda this morning where I was talking to Keith Woodley when he mentioned that there was no sign of the two Broad bills, or stint, so far this morning, probably due to the very low tide. On asking, I was told that two were seen at the same time way back in December by a very reliable member of staff, and a few times since by others. So there is no doubt there are the two I mentioned in late December, one well marked, and the other not so.
Cheers, Grahame
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi team, can anyone recommend when in Feb the best tides are for viewing waders at Miranda? I must just be able to shoot up for the day!
thanks
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Great viewing conditions this morning (Sunday). Highlights included 1 Pec, 7 Sharpies, 1 Broadbilled on the Stilt Pools and 3 curlews on the shellbank. 51 Golden plovers, 100+bandies, and thousands of the other stuff as per usual. No sign of the lesser sand.

Andrew, how much time would you have? An entire day or just 4-5 hours odd?

If possible you want to catch the rise, high, and fall. Morning light best for the stilt pools and evening best for the main hide. Probably want over 3.5m tide (Rocky Point, Thames) if possible.

Russ
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 pm

An advantage of earlier start is the lack of heat haze, this morning was a case. Lesser Sand Plover, Two Broad-billed Sandpipers ( both within 5 minutes and in very different plumages ), 5 Sharp-tailed Sands, 1 Curlew sandpiper and 7 Turnstone, all from stilt hide. 3 F E Curlew from main hide. Within 45 minutes, the heat haze and two Harriers changed everything. A member of staff saw the 2 B-b Sands very close together back in December.
Grahame
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:12 pm

2 Broad-billed Sandpipers in very different plumage - any photos?
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:58 am

Sorry, no photos. I am an old school birder that takes notes and draws sketches One has a better marked head and browner back. The other has a poorly marked head and greyer back. These would seem to indicate worn breeding and basic or juvenile plumage. They have both been seen together a few times by staff.
Grahame

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”