Terek Sandpiper, Mangere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Oscar Thomas

Terek Sandpiper, Mangere

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:45 am

Was alerted to this by my eBird alerts late in the night - Noel Ward has posted photos of a Terek Sandpiper that he saw yesterday at 4:30pm on the mudflats to the north of Island Rd in Mangere. Tides aren’t ideal today with a low around 1pm but I’ll be there shortly to check it out.

https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S63539104

Additionally a Common Sandpiper was reported in the area on eBird about a week ago, but with a Grey-tailed Tattler around and no details or photos it was taken with a grain of salt.
Oscar Thomas

Re: Terek Sandpiper, Mangere

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 pm

Fraser Gurney and I had no luck this morning but highlights were five Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, a Curlew Sandpiper and three Pateke on the canal. Might have another look tomorrow morning if anyone wants to coordinate efforts.
Oscar Thomas

Mangere 2020 Season

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Had a great day out today again with Fraser even if we couldn't find the Terek which has likely moved on. Started off at the shellbank viewing hide half an hour before high tide where amongst the numerous Bar-tailed Godwits, Red Knots and Wrybill we found 1 Curlew Sandpiper, 1 Grey-tailed Tattler, 4 Whimbrels, 6 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, ~15 Ruddy Turnstones, 12 New Zealand Dotterels and 40 Black-billed Gulls (including five that looked to be sitting on nests).
Later on we headed down to Island Rd and scanned the mudflats around the traffic light bay, where in addition to the Godwits and Knots were ~150 Banded Dotterels that appeared to arrive from a southern roost somewhere, bringing with them 1 Red-necked Stint. Along the canal we were surprised to find a total of 11 Pateke/Brown Teal including one in the storage basin, along with (of note) 1 New Zealand Dabchick, 1 New Zealand Scaup, and 1 Black-fronted Dotterel. The 800-strong Wrybill flock we were watching earlier at the shellbank never came to feed, so we returned for one last scan at the roost to no avail. Despite the dip, all in all a good productive morning with 60 species.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Terek was seen again by Noel this evening at 5pm from the viewing hide... sigh. https://ebird.org/atlasnz/checklist/S64034665
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:54 am

An unoriginal comment but still worth saying...

SEND IT OUR WAY!!! :)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:02 am

Dave Howes and I gave it one last good go this evening.. and saw it! Albeit briefly amongst a 1400 strong flock of wrybill. No denying that bill though. Rumours are that it has also been seen at Whitford once or twice over the last month.
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:47 am

Oscar Thomas reports the Terek Sandpiper is still showing at Mangere hide shellbanks this morning 8.2.20 after being present intermittently over the last two weeks. Here's a link to his photo: https://scontent.fpmr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5EB57241
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:33 pm

We saw the Terek Sandpiper this morning roosting on the shell bank from the hide in Ambury Park around high tide. A lot of patience was required, as it would be seen, then settle down among the Wrybills and disappear for very long periods. It was lucky there were two of us, as I don't think one person could watch a single spot for long (20-30 minutes), so many thanks to Paul for joining me there.
Cheers, Grahame
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Bird was present roosting with Wrybill this afternoon seen by Neil Robertson, Bernard Michaux, and I. In very very tough viewing conditions battling heat haze and distance we managed to pick the bird out briefly before it flew and got better views in flight. But I can’t say it’s an easy one. It’s slightly browner than the wrybill but orange legs and the long bill are really what you’ll want to look for. Be prepared to spend a bit of time searching the flock, and I suggest evening or morning high tides will be best as you won’t be battling oppressive heat haze.

Also present were 37 Turnstone, 2 Whimbrel, and 4 Sharptailed sandpipers.
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:25 pm

I'll be having a go for this bird Thursday next week (the 12th) if anybody is interested in coming along - I'd love some help!
0277895318 if anybody can make it.

Cheers

Fraser

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”