Brown Teal at Whitford

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Bruce Keeley

Brown Teal at Whitford

Postby Bruce Keeley » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:46 pm

The reference to 'suppression by neglect' under the Common Sandpiper heading prompts me to give a belated report of a visit to Ayrlies Wetlands near Whitford on 14 Jan 2020.
3 Brown Teal were present, 2 roosting alone and the other moving with Grey Teal. Also present were 9 Royal Spoonbill (up to 10 on 17/01) and this included one bird with full plumes. Spotless Crake heard in the raupo.
Kevin_Evans

Re: Brown Teal at Whitford

Postby Kevin_Evans » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi Bruce,

That is great to hear a few pateke have moved into the Wetlands, I often fly over the area and wondered how long it would take for the overflow of birds from Motutapu Island to find those wetlands. Do you know if they undertake any predator control around the wetlands?

Cheers
Kevin
Bruce Keeley

Postby Bruce Keeley » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Yes, there are traps here and there round the ponds - I don't know with what success.
The Black-billed Gull breeding attempts on the nearby Turanga foreshore are routinely wiped out - cats, stoats, harriers most likely.
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Kevin, these birds might have come from Motutapu, who knows if they are not banded, but Brown Teal have been regularly reported from various South Auckland sites over the last 20 and particularly the last 10 years, so I think that is a likely source
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:31 pm

There were 4 Brown Teal there this morning, and the one remaining, of three, Mute Swans is still present. Unfortunately, once again due to model aeroplanes being flown, the only birds to be seen at Clifton Beach, turanga creek, were 4 Variable Oystercatchers and a handful of Kelp Gulls.
Grahame

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”