Migrating Long-tailed Cuckoos

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian Southey

Migrating Long-tailed Cuckoos

Postby Ian Southey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:58 pm

This morning I was looking for somewhere in the Hunuas but the park is still shut after the rain. I did find the gate to the Hunua Falls carpark and the tracks were taped off except for the lookout track which I walked because I was there. Near the waterfall I heard a Long-tailed Cuckoo calling repeatedly for some time. About two weeks ago I may have heard another between the falls and Cossey's Dam but it was just the one relatively quiet call so I never got to be sure.

They don't live here, not even close, so I presume this is a bird starting out on migration but it seems a little late. Anyone else seen any sign of these birds still being around?

Ian
simon.fordham

Re: Migrating Long-tailed Cuckoos

Postby simon.fordham » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 am

I think the timing is right Ian. NZ birds online states 'Adults migrate north in February and March' although juveniles are somewhat later.

Ours is a block of native bush in the Mangemangeroa catchment (between Botany & Whitford, Auckland). Whenever we have had LTCs at our property, it has been around this time.

This year we first heard, and saw, a bird on 26 February and heard one (presumably the same bird) most days until we went away for a few days from 2 March. By the time we arrived back (the 8th), the recent storms had begun so heard nothing during this time. Once the weather had settled again, we again heard the call periodically each day. Yesterday, we got a magnificent view as it flew from a nearby kahikatea.

Anecdotally, in 22 years at this property, we have heard and seen LTCs more often in recent years, most years in fact, where as in earlier days we would only hear and/or see one every three or four years. Last year we had a pair hanging around for a few days. The fact that we seem to have birds present for a week or two at a time suggests that they are taking time out here, perhaps awaiting the right weather for migration.

The photo, taken 7 March 2015, is a juvenile suggesting some do head north in March.

Simon

58376.jpg
58376.jpg (173.55 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 pm

What a great photo Simon.
Mike Vincent

Postby Mike Vincent » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 pm

I was hearing long tail cuckoos up to three weeks ago around the Blue Lake.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu May 18, 2017 11:10 am

Just been sent a photo of a long-tailed cuckoo on the outskirts of Hamilton yesterday.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm

Found two Long-tailed Cuckoos in the Hunuas this morning (4/2/20) - near the Mangatawhiri dam on Lillburne Rd just before Piggot's Hut. Wasn't sure on the first call but stuck around for a while and got reasonable views of at least one of them mobbed by a Tui and a Bellbird. Did work out they were both adults. Obviously migration time again.

Also saw a pair of Kokako rather well just before I found them.

Ian
Pete McClelland

Postby Pete McClelland » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:33 pm

One LTC seen near Horseshoe Bay Stewart Island on Monday.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:38 pm

I heard another one yesterday. Calls just before dawn just before Tairua by the estuary.

Ian

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”