Tattler at Embankment Road

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Adam C

Tattler at Embankment Road

Postby Adam C » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi all well Jack and I turned up at the Memorial Hall on Days Road this morning for the big Ellesmere bird count and wondered where all the cars were....

Realisation hit and I checked my phone.... It was yesterday!

Jack was a bit gutted and I have to apologise to the organisers. Hope it went ok and the Embankment road team managed without this tall old git! I was absolutely positive it was Sunday :/ Gutted as was looking forward to meeting some of you!

Anyway Jack and I did a quick check at Embankment anyway and found 2 Curlew Sandpiper. I returned this evening with Greg McKenzie and we stumbled on this bird that had us chin scratching at a distance. As we got closer we started making 'Tattler' noises and sure enough!

Can anyone make a call on grey Tailed or Wandering?

Also 2 Sharp Tails present with 2 Curlew Sandpiper and a Black Tailed Godwit with over 130 Bar-Tails
Tattler 3.jpg
Tattler 3.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 654 times
Tattler 2.jpg
Tattler 2.jpg (818.29 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Tattler 1.jpg
Tattler 1.jpg (834.73 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Last edited by Adam C on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Re: Tattler at Embankment Road

Postby Adam C » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Seemed to have a long white eye stripe which is more apparent watching the video just now so I'm leaning towards Grey Tailed?
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:45 am

You got it Adam, well done! (Not on calendar management but on bird-finding teehee). GT Tat indeed.

Russ
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:28 am

Heh heh thanks Russ.

We can be an elusive bunch us birders so more than anything it would have been good to catch up with a few people. Not often Canty birders get a chance to catch up!

Samuel Ullman
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Great find Adam. Grey-tailed - also known as Siberian Tattler in some publications.
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand/
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi guys, the Grey-tailed Tattler was shown to a group of 20 or so bird counters on a "how to ID & count birds 101" field trip the weekend prior to the Feb 15 Lake Ellesmere census, but it was actually missed on the day - so many thanks to Adam C for finding and reporting it, so its continued presence could be confirmed and added to the count tally.
cheers

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”