Little terns

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Richard Ryall

Re: Little terns

Postby Richard Ryall » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am

Thanks, I am sure that any information like this would be of interest to these researchers. This has been a long project going back several years to 2013 when they put geo locators on 100 littles during the breeding season, so they may be keen to know when and where and if it is one of theirs.
Richard Ryall

Postby Richard Ryall » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 pm

And I would just like to emphasize, after my rather clumsy wording in my initial post, we are only visually spotting Little terns, looking for a small flag on their left legs in a programme started in 2013. There will be no 'catching'. Sorry about that the use of that misleading wording.
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:41 pm

I saw the Majuro Little tern multiple times between May 4 and July 27, 2010, matching the periods I was there that year.
My notes included "With silver leg band. Confirmed white rump in flight".
I know there was a photo that showed the leg band but cannot find it.
Photo with Greater crested tern for size comparison attached

That is only Little tern I have seen In Majuro.
I have also seen 1 in Pohnpei. 2009 from memory.

There are also Little terns at the Northern Peleliu Lkes sandflats IBA PW011.
Maximum count was 39, Feb 2016. Seems there are still a few present through the northern summer.
little and great crested tern.jpg
little and great crested tern.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”