Auto login problems

BirdingNZ.net problems, tips, feature suggestions etc.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Auto login problems

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:33 am

I anyone else experiencing problems with persistent logins (i.e. having to log in even after clicking the "log me in automatically each visit" box), or is it just me?

Neil.
simon.fordham

Re: Auto login problems

Postby simon.fordham » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 am

I had that problem when I tried to reply to your email Neil but once I entered this and asked it to save login then it worked fine, even after rebooting my computer.

Perhaps there is a time-out.

I have had the same issues with other websites.

I will monitor.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:15 am

I have that problem, not a major issue, but it does add a few seconds on to a visit to the site. I'm running Firefox with Adblock, if that is significant at all.
morepork

Postby morepork » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:16 pm

I have the same problem with Firefox and Noscript.

Derek
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:33 am

OK, I'm sorry about this. I'll keep trying to work out what the problem is.
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Neil

Every so often the same issue described below keeps happening - my automatic login is disabled. The first I know of it is when the postings appear in the default order (oldest first) and I then see that I am not logged in. Once I do log in again, and check the auto box, it works for a couple of months or so befor the problem repeats.

Is there a setting I have to change or is it a bug in the system.
Steps

Postby Steps » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I generakly login 2x a day....
No problems ...except the other day cleaning out my computer deleted all my cookies....so had to log in

I have had in the last 4 or 5 days, an intermittent slow response from your server....which upon refreshing loads the page
The most common issue with php based (these are phpbb forums) is long periods between compacting the data bases.
This time out can effect the auto login function not readsing the users cookie in time.

Today no issues at all...
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Simon, What bowser are you using. If I have this problem it is usually with Internet Explorer. Firefox and Android browser are much less likely to break the cookie.

Good points Steps, Thanks.
I have some data on page load speed which shows a big slow down in late March which has since tracked back down and nearly getting back to the 'fast' zone. I do give a word with the host company when there appear to be performance issues. I'll keep an eye on it, and please keep the feedback coming. If it is a persistent issue I might have to look at moving it to a NZ host, it's just a shame they are so much more expensive, for so much less.
Steps

Postby Steps » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:15 pm

In your admin control panel of phpbb, there is a place where u can compact the Db (and back up etc)
If the db is compacted from there, from my personaLexpriance is that any compactuion thru an apache/phpmyadmin at higher access levels (your host) makes no difference.

If it is a persistent issue I might have to look at moving it to a NZ host

Dont....this host is better than most NZ hosts.....sry just the way it is...and why I run my own servers.
Sure there will be odd times delays, slow load happens...thats life, and in most cases its the end user, there isp upgrading etc, or upgrades to hop inbetween.......in the time I have been on this site....it runs well.

I have some data on page load speed which shows a big slow down in late March

Do not take such data at face value, or overshort periods, and make sure, like all data, it is from a good source and is correct.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Steps wrote:In your admin control panel of phpbb, there is a place where u can compact the Db (and back up etc)
If the db is compacted from there, from my personaLexpriance is that any compactuion thru an apache/phpmyadmin at higher access levels (your host) makes no difference.

You must have a MOD installed. I could, but just checked in phpmyadmin and seems all good.

Return to “BirdingNZ.net Help”