Rails in Auckland

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Nakilad

Rails in Auckland

Postby Nakilad » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Kia ora,
I'm keen on targeting the rails we have here in NZ as I haven't seen too many. I understand they are somewhat cryptic and challenging to spot.

Can anyone suggest locations in Auckland where I might improve my chances of seeing some. I've seen banded rails at Tawharanui and Meola Reef Reserve, and a spotless crake at Tawharanui. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
Oscar Thomas

Re: Rails in Auckland

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi Nakilad,
Banded Rail are in good numbers at Wenderholm Park (Waiwera), and there are several birds resident at Orokomai Bay and Shakespear Park (Whangaparaoa), Under the bridge @ Huia Dam Rd (Huia), Traherne Island (Avondale) and at Tauwharanui as you know. I haven't heard of them being at Meola Reef however, so that's a good sighting :) But yes, early morning behind the beach at Orokomai Bay or in the mangroves at Wenderholm is your best bet.
Spotless Crake are less common, but I've seen them around the lake at Shakespear Park (usually respond best to a playback call, no people around) and on the dams at Tiritiri Matangi. They are also replenishing Te Henga Wetland at Bethells Beach and Motutapu Island.
Other rails include Marsh Crake, which is very rarely sighted at Whatipu Wetland. Weka are resident at Kawakawa Bay and Auckland Zoo. Takahe now live on Motutapu, Tiri, Tauwharanui and Auckland Zoo, and Pukeko are everywhere ;)
Nakilad

Postby Nakilad » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks so much Kokakola11! I'll be checking out some of those places in the coming weeks. I'll work on that early morning thing too.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Kokakola11, do you know about the distribution of Australasian Coot in Auckland?
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:50 pm

They are common on Chelsea sugar refinery lake, Western Springs and Lake pupuke, but thats all I know of.
les

Postby les » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:19 pm

a lot of the mangrove areas are home to plenty,can be hard to spot but there all the same.
Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:33 pm

kokakola11 wrote:They are common on Chelsea sugar refinery lake, Western Springs and Lake pupuke, but thats all I know of.

Wow thanks for the help!
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Studio Pajaro

Postby Studio Pajaro » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Saw a banded rail at Huia this afternoon just up from the bridge. First time I have stopped to have a look. Nice habitat for them and easy viewing from the road.
simonnicholas

Postby simonnicholas » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:29 pm

Thanks Oscar, this was still very useful after 7 years. There still seem to be good numbers of Banded Rail at Wenderholm park, it didnt take me long to find some. I thought it would be helpful to post where I was able to find them yesterday. Go in as far as you can drive, turning left and park at the far end of the carpark. Close by there is a raised concrete groyne extending out through the mangroves, if you walk along that very quietly you may be able to see some with patience. It helped I think that the tide was mostly out.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:20 am

You're welcome. Banded rails seem to be able to exist wherever mangroves do in New Zealand, I've since found Tuff Crater to be a great spot for them (right by the harbour bridge), and Spotless crakes are there too in the raupo wetlands.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”