Morepork in Auckland city

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
David Lawrie

Morepork in Auckland city

Postby David Lawrie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:34 pm

I have had advice from Richard Hadfield that he has a Morepork roosting in a tree outside his lounge window in Mount Eden in Auckland City. He has advised me that he would be happy to host people to have a look at suitable times. contact him on 021846231.
this does raise a number of interesting questions
like how common is this species in Auckland, or other cities for that matter? are any regions still doing Morepork counts as pioneered by Waikato a couple of years ago? Are there any students studying city Moreporks? I know Brent Stephenson did his research on this species but that was in a rural context.
morepork2.jpg
morepork2.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
RussCannings

Re: Morepork in Auckland city

Postby RussCannings » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:55 pm

Hamilton is still doing annual surveys and they seem to be quite numerous given the low to moderate number of volunteers doing the surveys.

As a side note, I found it very peculiar that Moreporks were so irregular--even rare--in Dunedin despite the city having great tracts of bush hosting Tomtit, Riflemen, Brown Creeper, and both Tui and Bellbird....yet no Moreporks! Even where I live here just outside of Cambridge, I get them almost nightly despite being surrounded by extensive paddocks and only having 2 trees on the section.

I absolutely love owls--wish we had a few more here!

Russ C
Studio Pajaro

Postby Studio Pajaro » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:42 pm

We used to hear Morepork calling now and then when we lived in Mt Eden a few years ago. Theres plenty of food available as theres no shortage of tree Weta and small birds and lizards etc.
We hear them in suburban West Auckland now too. So they are definitly around and about in Auckland.
Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am

Unfortunately there are no Moreporks in Christchurch though I believe a group is
listening for them on Banks peninsula, where they do occur.
A dead one was once found on the Summit Road, in the section from The Sign of the
Kiwi to Gebbies Pass, so they are fairly near Christchurch, but the one found dead
in the Botanic Gardens is thought to have been imported, probably as a carcass.
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:23 am

Jan wrote:the one found dead
in the Botanic Gardens is thought to have been imported, probably as a carcass.

Why?
TheBirderman

Postby TheBirderman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Mount Eden is a good place for Morepork, as there is a lot of forest-type environments for them there. They are rare in East Auckland since land has been cleared. I believe the only place in East Auckland you can see them is Selwyn Bush. They are common in West Auckland, and I know nothing about North Auckland, South Auckland they are common.
Steps

Postby Steps » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 am

We believe have one take up in residence in the last week, at night on our huge banksia tree in urban Manurewa. Still have to actually sight it in the foliage.
This has been a new addition to the now resident tuis, fantails, rosella and occasional wood pigeons and kaka passing thru.
Also of note the elusive possum that appeared some time ago, had been found on the road a couple couple months back. This resulted in the return of fantail numbers and their young flitting around the place.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”