Any good birding locations Tauranga area ?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
chris rae

Any good birding locations Tauranga area ?

Postby chris rae » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:34 am

I am a British birdwatcher coming on a family holiday next April 2016

Is there a forum member who is a local birder and can tell me the best sites in autumn ?

Chris Rae.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/chris.rae2
Michael

Re: Any good birding locations Tauranga area ?

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:00 am

Went out to Maketu and Little Waahi a couple of days ago, not particularly familiar with the area, so someone else will have to give directions, but the birding at the moment is brilliant with all the New Zealand waders etc and a chance for oddball species like Fluttering Shearwater.
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
TimS

Postby TimS » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Maketu Estuary and Little Waihi are good wader spots. Tim Barnard is the local expert on that area. Its close to the Kaituna Wetlands as well.

You could try Matahui Point for some estuarine birds......or anywhere pointy for sea birds.

If you prefer land birds there are a few points inland too.

Have a look at the map and lists on ebird as im finding it useful for new areas.

If i'm still in the area in 2016 i'm happy to take you around a few places.....but im clearly not an expert or any good at sea birds!
Raewyn

Postby Raewyn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 pm

As well as all of the above the above - McLarens Falls Park is good for a variety of introduced and native birds - I photographed up to 15 different species in one day once. Or for forest birds Otanewainuku is good with a variety of walks from short and easy to steep and strenuous. We also have our local Birds BoP meeting the second Wednesday of the even numbered months. So if you're here then, come to the meeting and get some contacts and information all in one spot.
chris rae

Postby chris rae » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:29 am

Guys,

Thanks for your responses. We're coming 19th March - 4th April ( Easter ). I'll have a hire car and our hosts will be showing us around, but it would be nice to meet up with any of you.

I'll get in touch nearer the time.

Chris Rae.
les

Postby les » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:26 pm

I find anywhere in a foreign country interesting just for the sheer fact of different species of all flora and fauna?You could go anywhere around there and have a good time.For example I went to perth recently and saw 2 kestrals from the plane!
chris rae

Postby chris rae » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:46 am

Hi

Sadly our trip is cancelled due to a family bereavement. We'll try again in a couple of years.

Chris Rae

Return to “General Birding Discussion”