Looking for Rook, Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo in Waikato Area

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
ourspot

Looking for Rook, Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo in Waikato Area

Postby ourspot » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi all

As part of our ‘Great New Zealand Bird Tour 2016’ my family and I are hoping to head to the Waikato area this weekend to try and find the Rook, Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo (and whatever else pops up).

I’ve been researching and see the Galahs are mostly seen around Mangatawhiri, the Rooks mostly around Cambridge and Miranda area, and the Cockatoos could possibly be seen around Taupiri or Miranda areas

I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent sightings of any of these species and could possibly provide some details. I understand that the Rook and Cockatoo have been subject to local councils culling them and therefore exact locations posted aren’t the best idea, but happy to receive Private Messages about any info anyone has.

Also hoping to find the Dunnock which seems to be eluding us :)

Cheers
Scott, Helen, Ollie, Zef and Jay Brooks
•• The Great New Zealand Bird Tour 2016 ••
JFDillon

Re: Looking for Rook, Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo in Waikato Area

Postby JFDillon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:52 am

There are 8 rooks in cambridge at our lake. Depending when it is I could take you to see them, but they're most likely to be seen in the evening.
Sulphur Crested cockatoo can be seen out raglan way.

My email is Joe.francis.dillon@gmail.com if you're interested.

Joe
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:33 am

Dunnock are thin on the ground in the central Waikato, though I've seen them at Maungatautari, perching on the outer fence. Once you get a bit further south, such as around Taupo, you start seeing more of them. Cockatoos are increasingly scarce - I know one place on private land at Waikaretu where they're regularly seen, and you might luck onto some driving around that part of the district (lots of wild peafowl as well), but it'd be a long shot.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 am

I live fairly close to, and visit Miranda at least once a week, and although there was a recent report of a Rook, I have not seen one in the area for at least two years. I would go for the Cambridge area offer.
The area around Mangatawhiri that I find best for Galah and had a recent sighting was just a few hundred metres up Lyons Road around the right hand bend.
Good luck
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Not sure where best to go to find cockatoos - I'm not sure if the ones between Kaiaua and the Mangatawhiri Dam have been reported lately. Over the last few years I have seen them in the Waitakeres near the Cascades and at Limestone Downs south of the Waikato river mouth ... which is a road worth taking - try scanning the inland side of the road from about the Limestone Downs farm gate but anywhere along that road is possible.

For Hedge Sparrows up this way try west coast coastal scrub and flax. There are a few by the Muriwai Gannet colony but anywhere with ample rough cover right by the coast should work. They are singing well now. Further south they become a common garden bird.

Have not seen Galahs yet this season, sometimes they are easy and sometimes they just don't seem to come. The recent report from Rangiriri was interesting.

Good luck

Ian
BombayDave

Postby BombayDave » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Cockatoo - Limestone Downs area. Regular sightings. Also Awhitu peninsula
Galah - from Lyons road to Kaiaua Rd. Large flocks roost in a stand of trees on east side of quarry
Dunnock - quite common in Bombay and Aririmu but not easy to see. Bred last year on my property in Bombay. I saw 2 last week on the walk form car park to Mangatawhiri Dam, Mangtawhiri.
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:36 pm

Thank you everyone for the great tips - they are very helpful and very much appreciated.

And as we've found with many of our recent birding missions, we're going to get to go and explore some new places we've never been to before in the search for our feathered friends ... great fun!

Cheers
Scott, Helen, Ollie, Zef and Jay Brooks
•• The Great New Zealand Bird Tour 2016 ••
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:52 pm

if you're going to the South Island, there are dunnocks everywhere. Go to the Botanic Gardens in Chch and they are all over the place. Easy-peasy.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:55 pm

A story on the Stuff website - looks like the Rooks in the Cambridge area may not be around for much longer...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/8547 ... -cambridge

cheers
jim
JFDillon

Postby JFDillon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Yes, unfortunately the owners of the tennis courts below the rooks reported the birds to the council.
Perhaps it was the cawing, or maybe the fact that I would go and stand in the carpark every few days to look at them that they didn't like :lol:

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”