Looking for Rook, Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo in Waikato Area

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Davidthomas

Re: Looking for Rook, Galah and Sulphur Crested Cockatoo in Waikato Area

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Saw a sulphur-crested cocky on Fairy Springs road, Rotorua on Wednesday morning, but i think it was just an escapee so not of much use to you guys!

As for rooks, as JFDillon has mentioned he has a decent spot, otherwise i know south of Cambridge Russ Cannings has reported some, and i think some have been reported near Taupo?
Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:30 am

There is a spring near Putaruru, Blue Spring I think. Lots of dunnock, easy access and some rook as well.
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:40 am

No luck with Galah in the Mangatawhiri area, but I found a possible night roost of Sulphur-crested Cockatoo in Lyons Rd last week. One morning there were at least 29 birds that flew off in two groups in opposite directions (one group of exactly 13 and one of at least 16, partly concealed by the tree).

Cheers,
Matthias
Cockatoo.jpg
Cockatoo.jpg (269.25 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
TheBirderman

Postby TheBirderman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Best luck for Cockies are around near the Hunua Ranges out Miranda way and the Waitakere Ranges near Auckland. However they are controlled by the regional council so they may be gone in a few years. Good Luck!
fras444

Postby fras444 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 am

Saw a rook fly over the Taupo Bungee yesterday.
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:04 pm

While driving between Ngaruawahia and Te Kowhai this morning, we saw a flock of around 15 Sulphur-crested cockatoos flying over the road. Not sure how significant this is on a regional level, but I hadn't seen a cockatoo all year previously so I was pretty excited.

Edit: a flock of 12 came through the camp in Nga about a week ago as well, so it seems like the flock may be hanging around for a while.
Cheers,
Liam Ballard
bombaydave2

Postby bombaydave2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:50 pm

Sulphur crested Cockatoos are currently roosting in a small patch of bush behind a farm house in between Makaewa road and Toft road, Kaiaua road, Mangatawhiri.
Counted 17 last week
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Saw a flock of about a dozen cockatoos this morning flying over Highway 22, they were heading north, just south of the intersection with Otorohaea Trig Rd (north of Waingaro and east of Te Akau in the western Waikato). Only saw them very briefly, immediately stopped and turned around, but couldn't relocate them. Only about 15km from the birds you saw Liam, though I suspect it's probably a separate flock.
fras444

Postby fras444 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02 am

Are the majority of the sightings of the cockatoo are found on the west coast of NZ? D
Does that go hand in hand with the suggestion that they could possibly be a "native" self introduced species, weren't the Black swan labeled introduce for a while to become a, (according to nzbirdsonline) native species? suggesting that they self-introduced at the same time as they were being introduced by the acclimist society.

Be interesting to know what make up of the population are cage escapes/introduced vs birds blown in from Aust.... If there are any supporting evidences that suggests that there are possibilities for these birds to make it across the tasman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”