SIPO on the move?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Michael

Re: SIPO on the move?

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Seven birds were flying south around 9am yesterday along Whamgamata Beach. Checked the small mudflats on the south side of the beach, no sign. Where would they be off too?
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Nick Allen

Postby Nick Allen » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 pm

At least a couple of SIPOs flew over our place in NW Christchurch at about 8am this morning - apart from Spur-wings waders are pretty scarce this side of town.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Was doing our monthly beach patrol at Waikorea (north-west Waikato) on Friday afternoon - very little in the way of dead birds, but three pied oystercatchers flew up from the south. They circled once, then landed on the beach where there was a mixed group of black-backed gulls, Caspian and white-fronted terns and a couple of NZ dotterels. Only stayed a couple of minutes, then took off and continued north along the water's edge. First we've seen at Waikorea, presumably birds on migration.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:02 pm

A flock of 30 flew past the gannet colony last Saturday I think it was? Never seen them in the area, closest flocks I can think of are at Huia, Mangere and in the Kaipara.
Bennyboy87654

Postby Bennyboy87654 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:39 pm

I live in Darfield, Canterbury and I see SIPO fly over going south west in late winter and then sometimes see them coming back in mid summer. (those may not be exact dates, i cant quite remeber off the top of my head)
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 am

In the Riwaka/Marahau areas in Tasman Bay back in the 1980s and 90s (and I assume continuing today) over late Dec and thru Jan it was a regular occurrence to hear SIPO calling from a great height moving north. You couldn't easily see them with the naked eye, but you cold pick them up with binocs. I remember one day flock after flock moved through. It was mainly during daylight (unlike SIPO migratory movt over CHCH city, which is mainly at night, although you do see smaller numbers during daylight.

Ian, I have a nice little data set of SIPO post-breeding flocking build up on the golfcourse at Twizel, the flock building daily as birds came off riverbed breeding grounds and fed/roosted under the sprinklers at the golfcourse prior to migrating north. I also have a good data set (33 years and counting) of SIPO moving thru the CHCH estuaries, so if others have similar data for sites at different latitudes , then its worth collaborating on a paper describing the timing and route of the northward SIPO migration..... Its a great story to tell.
Richard Schofield

Postby Richard Schofield » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Suzanne reported a SIPO heading upriver at Balclutha this morning. They don't usually appear inland until the last week or so in June (after the solstice).
Richard Schofield

Postby Richard Schofield » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:12 pm

There have been a few SIPO around the Balclutha area since 10th May, but this afternoon at 1650 (sunset 1658) a flock of 15 flew up the Koau (southern) branch of the Clutha, did a u-turn at the east end of the airfield, and then gained altitude as they headed roughly NW along the Clutha Valley till they were lost from sight.
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:58 pm

SIPO migrating back to South Island on June = early winter ???

I thought SIPO don't come back to South Island (breeding), from North Island (wintering) until August.
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:05 am

Saw a nice 'V' formation of c.35 SIPO flying north over the waves at Waikanae Beach (Wellington) on 21 Jan 2018.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”