Four shore plovers at Westshore Reserve, Napier

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
adamclarke

Four shore plovers at Westshore Reserve, Napier

Postby adamclarke » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Three shore plovers were reported from Ahuriri Estuary by visiting birders? via ebird yesterday. This morning the trio were sighted by the Twydles and myself at the Westshore scrape ponds- two males and a female. Just before we left a fourth bird came into view, possibly another male. Until now I believe the highest number of shore plovers recorded at one time at Napier has been two, so today's number is quite memorable. 14 PGPs were also present.
rcollen

Re: Four shore plovers at Westshore Reserve, Napier

Postby rcollen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Did anyone manage to see the colour bands on these birds? I've just been monitoring the shore plover population on Waikawa (Portland Island) this week and the team would be really interested to know which birds are on their big OE! Regards, Rose
adamclarke

Postby adamclarke » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Rose. The band combinations of the three initial birds were gained but not the fourth. They are as follows:

Female(I think); upper orange and lower blue on the right leg, upper red and lower white on the left.

Male; upper blue and lower red on right leg, upper orange and lower green on left.

Male; upper green and lower yellow on right leg, upper orange and lower blue on left.

This morning only one male plover appeared to be present on its own at the scrapes. It was at rest and his bands couldn't be seen.
rcollen

Postby rcollen » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks very much for those band combos, well done. They were all captive-reared birds released onto Waikawa (Portland Island) - OGBR was released in Feb 2016, OBGY in June 2016, and RWOB in May 2017. They were still present on the island in early November.
It seems that some of them were also sighted at Cape Sanctuary the day before the Westshore sighting, so they are getting around a bit!
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:35 pm

I hope it's not like the situation with Mana Island where it seems they left the island due to disturbance & predation by a single (i think) rat - which in a short time knocked off all the birds there!

cheers
jim
rcollen

Postby rcollen » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi there Jim
We're sure that's not the case here ... a team of five have just spent the week doing intensive shore plover monitoring and pest animal surveillance with a rodent dog to check the island thoroughly for any sign of a rat. This is done on a regular basis to ensure the island is kept rat-free.
The shore plover visiting the mainland are all young single birds off on their big OE - it is normal for them to disperse far and wide before they settle down at a site to breed. Hopefully they will make it back to the safety of the island! Cheers, Rose
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:08 pm

That's good to hear - thanks Rose

cheers
Wandoona

Postby Wandoona » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am

Are they still there?
adamclarke

Postby adamclarke » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:54 am

Hi Wandoona. I haven't personally checked since Friday but it is likely the shore plovers will have moved on by now, they may even be back at Portland Island. Individual shore plovers that have appeared at Napier or Clive in the past have rarely stayed longer than one day.
adamclarke

Postby adamclarke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:40 pm

A nice surprise to see that one of the shore plovers is still enjoying its OE at Napier. Miss RWOB present at the Westshore scrape ponds this morning.
IMG_8114.jpg
IMG_8114.jpg (208.47 KiB) Viewed 3019 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”