NZ dotterels at Waikanae River estuary

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
rogerandmavis

NZ dotterels at Waikanae River estuary

Postby rogerandmavis » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:50 am

During the last week there have been up to 6 NZ dotterels on the sandspit at the Waikanae River estuary. No sign of nesting as yet.
RS_2017-11-10_8183.jpg
NZ dotterel at Waikanae River estuary
RS_2017-11-10_8183.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5428 times
Alan Tennyson

Re: NZ dotterels at Waikanae River estuary

Postby Alan Tennyson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 pm

There was 1 NZ dotterel on the spit this morning
rogerandmavis

Postby rogerandmavis » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:37 am

Two NZ dotterels have established a nest on the sand spit at Waikanae Beach. The nest contains six eggs, so the likelihood is that both birds may be female and have each laid 3 eggs in the nest. If this is the case, then the eggs will be infertile and will not hatch. Local birders are watching and waiting for the results.
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 am

We did some research and it appears that just because 2 females lay in the same nest it doesn't always follow that they will be infertile.
Time will tell I guess.
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm

The pair were still actively defending their 6 egg nest yesterday but after this length of time I guess there's not much chance that they'll hatch. I have not seen more than 2 birds at once - according to an earlier posting, 6 NZ dotts were supposedly reported here. There are banded dotterels nesting on the spit also, with 2 small running chicks seen on 2 Dec.
cheers
Alan
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:36 am

yep time to give up hope for the NZ dot nest.
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:28 am

No sign of the nest or the pair yesterday. I don't know what happened to the eggs, which I could find no sign of.
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 am

Somebody or something took the eggs yesterday only hours after we were discussing what to do with the nest in my Face Book Group which is open to the public.
It was agreed that we would contact doc and either ask to remove the eggs so that the 2 females could get on with their lives and not waste time as the eggs were infertile and offer the eggs to them or on their advise leave as is.
Hours later one of our members went to check the nest and the eggs were gone.
Nikki McArthur

Postby Nikki McArthur » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 am

Hi all,

Three NZ dots present at the Waikanae Estuary yesterday. Also at least three pairs of variable oystercatchers nesting on the sandspit on northern/true right side of river, with nests containing three, three and one egg respectively.

Regards,
Nikki
Last edited by Nikki McArthur on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 am

some of us would appreciate it if this did not become common knowledge as the least amount of people who know about this the better.
Work is underway to get the nest fenced off.
I have just had the sad experience of monitoring a Falcon nest with one click.
At first, only the person who showed me and I were visiting the nest, fast forward 2 weeks and there is people constantly at the nest site upsetting the parents trying to get photos of the chick. It's actually sickening to tell the truth.
It would be a shame for the NZ dots to be subject to the same thing.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”