Help me with Procellaria sp. ID from Chile

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
valpajaritos

Help me with Procellaria sp. ID from Chile

Postby valpajaritos » Tue May 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Hello NZ birders:
I need help with ID of these birds.
Both of them were observed past Saturday on pelagic trips in North and Central Chile, Arica (18°S) and Valparaiso (33°S).
I was present on the Valparaiso's boat. We observed a dark shearwater with a contrast between underparts and head. Initially, we think in the unusual Pink-footed shearwater (dark morph). Another possibility was the related Flesh-footed shearwater. However, this bird has few records in Chilean waters. At reviewing the photographs, we noted a yellow bill with dark tip, opening to the possibility of Procellaria sp. Remarkably, during all the trip we only sighting one Westland petrel in comparison with the abundant White-chinned petrels.
I don't have experience with Parkinson's (black) petrel, because this bird also has few records in Chilean waters. However, we haven't seen this plumage previously in Westland petrels. We observed moulting on Westland petrels between October-December in Chile.
Interestingly, our friends in Northern Chilean waters saw a bird with similar features. They think in Westland petrel.
I hope your help with the ID of these birds.
Many thank.
Matias Garrido
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-07 at 07.45.05.jpeg
Valparaiso - Photo by Benito Rosende
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-07 at 07.45.05.jpeg (165.66 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-07 at 07.49.00.jpeg
Arica - Photo by Fernando Díaz
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-07 at 07.49.00.jpeg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Last edited by valpajaritos on Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sav

Re: Help me with Procellaria sp. ID from Chile

Postby sav » Wed May 09, 2018 11:45 am

Hi Matias,

I have never seen birds with this colour/wear pattern, but I believe both are Black Petrels.

The Arica bird looks just right, and importantly has toes projecting past the tail tip. The proportions and jizz also indicate Black rather than Westland (and it is absolutely certainly one or the other).

Because both birds have almost identical, but unusual?, plumage I feel that they are most likely the same species, even though the Valparaiso bird does have something of Westland about it. The angle of the photo shortens the wings and makes the head look large, but it has a Black Petrels bill I think.

In the field, the fact that you initially thought Pink-footed or Flesh-footed also points to Black Petrel which is pretty much the same size as both - and Westland (as I think you must know) is quite a bit bigger.
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
valpajaritos

Postby valpajaritos » Wed May 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi Sav.
Thank for your comments.
I obtained another photo of Valparaiso bird.
I hope for additional comments.
Regards.
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-08 at 22.56.17.jpeg
Photo by Benito Rosende
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-08 at 22.56.17.jpeg (24.11 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
sav

Postby sav » Wed May 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Hey Matias,

Thanks for the second photo. With toes showing that long it has to be a Black Petrel.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Wed May 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Initial thought was Westland but I agree with Sav. A very weird plumage stage for us kiwis though!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”