Baby ducklings in winter

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

Baby ducklings in winter

Postby andrewcrossland » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Amongst the hundreds of grey teal and scores of paras, shoveler and mallard on ephemeral ponded storm water around the core wetland at Hope Hay valley, Christchurch, a couple of days ago was a brood of c.1 wk old Mallard ducklings. I've seen ducklings on April/may fairly often, but June seems pretty late.
rukuhia

Re: Baby ducklings in winter

Postby rukuhia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:06 pm

I saw a dozen last week in the Waikato also.
Bob Rigter
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Must be either domestic duck ducklings or hybrid wild mallard duck X domestic duck ducklings.

Domestic ducks and hybrid wild mallard duck X domestic ducks breed 12 months the whole year while true wild mallard ducks breed on August to January only.
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:35 am

There are a fair few in Ngaruawahia right now, there is a good mix of domestics and hybrid ducks so that would make sense Clinton.
Liam Ballard
Bennyboy87654

Postby Bennyboy87654 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 pm

I've seen some Pukeko chick recently, seems like a strange time to be laying eggs and raising chicks.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 pm

I saw a harrier picking mallard ducklings off a tiny pool in a paddock last Sunday, 10th near Te Awamutu. It landed on the edge of the pool to have its snack, a few m from mother duck and the remaining ducklings. Highlighted to me what a stupid time duck shooting season is; when they have already started breeding. Harvesting basics is you do it post-breeding.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:Highlighted to me what a stupid time duck shooting season is; when they have already started breeding. Harvesting basics is you do it post-breeding.

True enough though unfortunately in the Waikato it seems Mallards will nest in any month (Have recorded ducklings in each month at Te Ko Utu, Cambridge). Same goes for Pukeko and even coot to an extent.

I believe the duck shooting season was once extended into July at one point? That was... silly.

Ah well...
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm

I remembered I saw a few-day-old black Pukeko chick, with parents on mid-June few years ago in Kopu.

Bennyboy87654 wrote:I've seen some Pukeko chick recently, seems like a strange time to be laying eggs and raising chicks.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:33 pm

You are right Russ, they can be found breeding any time, but peak hatching seems to me to be August, and it's not uncommon to find a few in July. That must mean there are lots building nests and laying in June? Of course, the more duck shooters can do to control mallards the better IMO..

Return to “General Birding Discussion”