Unahi Road Winter Sightings

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Les Feasey

Unahi Road Winter Sightings

Postby Les Feasey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Hi all,
Toured by Unahi Road on the way back from a beach patrol today. There were 2 Kotuku, 46 Cattle egret and about 800 Spoonbill in the paddocks on the south side of Unahi Road. When four of us stopped in for a look yesterday, there was a Kookaburra on the power lines at the wharf. There has been no sign of the 3 Little Egret since the sighting at the end of June. They usually end up in the same fields as the Cattle Egret, but may have stayed on the Kaimaumau side of Rangaunu Harbour so far the year.
Cheers,
Les
Les Feasey
Opua, Far North
RussCannings

Re: Unahi Road Winter Sightings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks for the update Les!

Definitely has to be the best wharf for birding in the country! (Sorry Ruawai, Opotiki, and the others!--can you count the Aramoana mole?)

Russ
Les Feasey

Postby Les Feasey » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 am

A bit of an update on the Little Egret - we had our regular monthly OSNZ meeting on Friday and as is customary, did a roundup of unusual birds seen in the Region. Kevin Matthews said he'd seen two Little Egret at Unahi Road, and suggested the third bird might have been in a swale in the farmland. So there's so hope yet that they may all be there.
Les
Les Feasey
Opua, Far North
Les Feasey

Postby Les Feasey » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:25 pm

During a visit to Kaimaumau, on the opposite side of Rangaunu Harbour from Unahi Road, there were three Little Egret. Two stayed around for the photo op.
Little egret.jpg
Little Egret
Little egret.jpg (459.73 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Les Feasey
Opua, Far North
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:05 am

The first little egret I ever saw was at Kaimaumau, many years ago, about 1981. Must be a good spot for them.
Carol

Postby Carol » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 am

Hi Les Feasey could you please tell me if the spoonbills at Unahi wharf are Royal Spoonbills. I am wondering as In my photos n viewing them at the wharf I have never seen the crest on their heads. Thank you. Carol.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”