Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird Trip Results - 13th January

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Re: Tutukaka Pelagic Seabird Trip Results - 13th January

Postby RussCannings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi David,

This is a pale juv Arctic Skua. Bill and head too small for Pom, plumage is fairly typical, and pointy central rects are visible.

Russ C
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 am

Hard to judge scale from the picture, but it was a big bird, too big to be an arctic I would have thought.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am

Hi David,

Agree re: judging size (especially when looking at a photo with no other birds for comparison). Here I'm going on structure (eg Head size relative to neck). Those spiky tail feathers are probably the easiest way to clinch it though as they rule out Pom and bigger skuas almost automatically.

Jaegers and skuas, like gulls can show a bit of sexual dimorphism in terms of size so perhaps it was just a really big boy filled with tern puke!
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:44 am

P.s. This is just my limited assessment. If someone can point out why this can't be an Arctic I'm open to it. Skuas are variable and thus mucho tricky.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”