Kingfisher in Auckland

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
grdwalker

Kingfisher in Auckland

Postby grdwalker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 am

Morning All,

Apologies if this is incorrect protocol as i'm new to the group, but i was wondering where some good spots are to see Kingfisher in the Auckland area.

I've seen one on Tiri (briefly) and another down at Piha the other day but are there any likely spots a bit closer in? Waitakare area preferably but will gratefully accept anywhere else.

Trying to get some good pictures to add to my portfolio, and these guys are being particularly elusive to me.

thanks.
Ian McLean

Re: Kingfisher in Auckland

Postby Ian McLean » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi there
Thanks for your post.
During winter Kingfishers are mainly found in the coastal fringes around Auckland, whilst in spring & summer they disperse all over suburbia in many different habitats to breed.
Good places to view them currently in west Auckland include Huia, Cornwallis & Langholm on the Manukau Harbour & at Harbourview in Te Atatu on the Waitemata Harbour. Other great locations within Auckland city include Ambury Park in Mangere & along Purewa Creek in Orakei.
Hopefully you should get some great views of them.
Cheers
Ian McLean
Auckland Regional Representative for Birds New Zealand
grdwalker

Postby grdwalker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. ill try get out later this week to try find some.
Are there good times of day for them to be seen feeding? or is it luck of the draw?
Robyn

Postby Robyn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi there.
Yes I can confirm the kingfishers are definately out here at Muriwai Beach, west coast of Auckland. I see them on a daily basis.
All the best.
Ian McLean

Postby Ian McLean » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:47 am

Along the coast, they are often most active on a receding tide feeding on mud crabs.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”