White headed Blackbird

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Nev Brook

White headed Blackbird

Postby Nev Brook » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:06 am

I have joined this Forum just to post this sighting as it seems a most unusual and wonderful thing. A white headed blackbird has been visiting our garden in Clarks Beach, South Auckland.

I have tried to post a photograph but am not sure how to on this site. Let me know if you would like to see a photograph together with instructions on how to upload.

Cheers
Neville Brook
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: White headed Blackbird

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi Neville
Welcome to the forum.
This thread explains how to add photos: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5744
Richard Fenner

Postby Richard Fenner » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:40 am

I've noticed almost an epidemic of partially albino Blackbirds in Auckland over the last year or so. Seems to run in the male line only. At one stage I had three birds at the Big King reserve - one had a white head (well a bit speckled) as well as white in the wing and tail - this one was the original I think, another had just white in the wings (like a Tui!), and the third had a little white on the head plus in the tail. I've also seen one closer to home at Taylor's Park in Mount Eden. Definitely a genetic study in the making!
Cheers
Richard
Nev Brook

Postby Nev Brook » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am

Here is a photo of the aforementioned white headed Blackbird. Not a very good photo it has to be said, he wouldn't stay still for me on the day. I have seen him closer than this and his head appears to be solid white i.e. not speckled. We have lots of Blackbirds here and apart from being beautiful and a pleasure to have around the place, they are very helpful pollinators in our Feijoa orchard. Feijoas need birds for pollination, the bees are no help. If anyone would like a better photograph I will see what I can do.
IMG_8225.JPG
IMG_8225.JPG (443.82 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am

A closer photo would be nice, if possible. We had a white-headed blackbird around a Wanganui Park for a few years, possibly a similar looking bird to yours.
White Blackbird.jpg
White Blackbird.jpg (95.2 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=247&start=70

Just posted a pic on the 'white birds' thread of a similar boy... not as stunning as your guy, Paul!

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”