NZ Dabchick Breeding again Taylor Dam.

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Bill F Cash

NZ Dabchick Breeding again Taylor Dam.

Postby Bill F Cash » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:08 pm

For the third year in a row NZ Dabchick have breed at the Taylor Dam Marlborough. A pair with three chicks present today. Plus to my surprise looked to be a second pair present at the other end of the Dam. Uncertain if a pair maybe just two other adult birds but were together. Bill.
DSC07014.jpg
DSC07014.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3586 times
Mtn Breeze

Re: NZ Dabchick Breeding again Taylor Dam.

Postby Mtn Breeze » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:02 pm

That's good news !! I did see a pair a week or so ago but no chicks obvious then.
Also havnt seen the marsh crake for about a year now ?
Matt.
At least it's not raining !!

http://www.wildnaturenewzealand.co.nz/
Bill F Cash

Postby Bill F Cash » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Returned again to the Taylor Dam and can confirm definitely two pair of NZ Dabchicks. One pair has three chicks and the other pair most likely nesting as they were regularly seen going into a particular patch of reeds. Bill
DSC07103.jpg
DSC07103.jpg (767.58 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
Mtn Breeze

Postby Mtn Breeze » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Yip ... here's a couple I got from the floating hide Bill.
Matt.

At least it's not raining !!

http://www.wildnaturenewzealand.co.nz/
Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Wow, great photos! I expect that Lake Jasper might be a good-sized body for dabchicks too (waaay up Taylor Pass Rd). I've never really had the time to go door-knocking to ask permission, but reckon with all the recent dabchick activity (Elterwater, Taylor Dam, watertreatment plant) in the area, there is worth a look too.
Bill F Cash

Postby Bill F Cash » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi, I agree Jake Lake Jasper is worth a visit. So have just popped over the fence and talked to my neighbour re permission, all sorted.
Jake next time you are in Blenheim give me a call. I may be mistaken but I think your folk live just around the corner from me.
As for Matt's photos from his floating hide I will post a photo in the General Section showing how it is done.
Bill.
Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:34 pm

There's a pair of Dabchicks with a little chick on the Dam. Not sure how to upload a video onto this site, so here's a link to YouTube

https://youtu.be/KjPiBPQEqME

- You probably already now about this
Jake

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:00 pm

One pair of Dabchicks w/Dabchick chick. Looks at least a week old. Sixth year in a row(?).

Also two broods of Scaup, brood of Shovlers, Teal and a couple of Shining Cuckoos heard tonight. California Quail pairs everywhere. There's been a Cirl Bunting cock in the Korean Oak, out the back, about three of the last four visits too

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”