Blackbird on birdball and SWPlover nesting in Chch centra plus Bellbirds looking like nestingl

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Jan

Blackbird on birdball and SWPlover nesting in Chch centra plus Bellbirds looking like nestingl

Postby Jan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:51 pm

For the first time ever our resident male Bbird worked out how to get onto the fatball and peck at the fat for a fair while.
He has been eyeing it up for weeks and perching close by, but now he's nailed it. His mate has a 4-egg nest that was buffeted around last night in the gale, but seems to be intact.

I've never heard of Blackbirds doing this before but please tell me if I'm wrong. We get sparrows and greenfinch regularly on it, and chaffinches that flap wildly but never perch. Mostly it's for Silvereyes.

There's a nest with 3 eggs at 237 Cambridge Tce next to the site of the Pyne Gould Guinness building that collapsed in 2012.
It's on the Otakaro Orchard land that is being developed as a community garden and food forest. Unfortunately there was a gathering at the site on Sunday where folk could pick up seed packets to get veg. germinating before returning the seedlings for planting and the birds may have been off the nest for maybe 2 hours. I guess it's a case of one good thing trumping another and SWPlover are on the pest list?
Jan

Re: Blackbird on birdball and SWPlover nesting in Chch centra plus Bellbirds looking like nestingl

Postby Jan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 pm

To continue with this theme......the Blackbirds are producing enormous chicks, the male pecks lumps of fat directly off the ball while his mate picks up anything that falls.......I just hope they survive the dog who patrols that bit of garden where rabbits live under the hedge. This is the last fatball.
A pair? of Bellbird come around and quietly feed on the ground, not sure what on, they don't come together. They must have a nest nearby but it could be in the property opposite across the rd.
Jim_j

Re: Blackbird on birdball and SWPlover nesting in Chch centra plus Bellbirds looking like nestingl

Postby Jim_j » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi Jan
Meant to say I always enjoy your posts - always interesting observations
Make a nice change from the speed birding 40 birds in 40 minutes (although they are interestimg too!)

cheers
jim

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”