Long tailed cuckoo locations

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Michael Szabo

Re: Long tailed cuckoo locations

Postby Michael Szabo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30 pm

I have discussed the LTC translocation idea with Michael Anderson (using Little Barrier Island as the source). He pointed out that locating a single LTC egg is extremely difficult, let alone a group of them.
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm

I imagine you would have to make use of new technology.
Monitor 20-30 whitehead nests with cameras and use bird recognition software to identify LTC visits.
Would also give a good indication of the level of parasitism
I don't know if there is any research (I doubt it) on whether there is a specific window of time as to when LTC eggs have to be introduced to Whitehard nests.
I imagine a first step would be to band or fit tracking devices to confirm that LTC do in fact return to their place of birth...
I think somewhere like Kapiti or Mt Bruce would be an easier option than LBI....
All in all an expensive exercise....!

cheers
Jim
Nikki McArthur

Postby Nikki McArthur » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 pm

I've recently finished reading Nick Davies' book on European cuckoos (can highly recommend: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/cuckoo-9781408856567/), which was probably the source of inspiration behind my earlier post.

In this book the author describes a number of clever tricks that he'd developed to predict where and when female cuckoos would parasitise host nests - getting to the point where he could predict both the nest in which a particular cuckoo would lay in, and on what day. Admittedly though, this work was carried out in a fen wetland (host nests were easily accessible) and a lot more is known about the breeding biology of the European cuckoo, but nonetheless they showed it was possible, albeit with a lot of time and perseverance!
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks Nikki - looks a very interesting read.

cheers
Jim
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Interesting discussion but not sure if anyone answered Ben's initial question. Where are the best spots for Long-tailed Cuckoo in Lower North Island? Boundary Stream is good in Hawke's Bay, but closer to Wellington, Kapiti Island is a good spot. There seem to be one or two around Upper Hutt Stokes Valley area, but the summit on Rimutaka Hill (eg walk up to the trig) is a good spot to hear them calling over summer. I have also heard them in the bush up Kapiti coast (eg Mt Wainui Whararoa farm area) and Kiriwhakapapa near Mt Bruce in the Wairarapa. Hearing them is a lot easier than seeing them.
Ben Volpicelli

Postby Ben Volpicelli » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks ledzep, I will have to truy out some of those locations! The info has been very interesting. Thankyou everyone.
Roblyn

Postby Roblyn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:25 pm

I’ve also heard them on the Butterfly Creek Walk, Eastbourne.
Nikki McArthur

Postby Nikki McArthur » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:05 pm

I've found the McKerrow Track in the southern Remutaka FP to be a really good area for LTCs as well. Can be accessed via the Catchpool Valley, or the Sunny Grove Track in Wainuiomata.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”