Request for help in South Island

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Grahame

Request for help in South Island

Postby Grahame » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 pm

I am travelling to South Island next Wednesday for 2-3 weeks and would appreciate help for the following species locations.

Cape Barren Goose
Little Owl
Yellowhead
Plus, any other South Island specialities

Cheers, Grahame
kelly111

Re: Request for help in South Island

Postby kelly111 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 pm

hi i know where some owls are in rangiora..north of chch..
kelly111

Postby kelly111 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 pm

and some one i know has some cape barren goose on his land..
jgolden

Postby jgolden » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Little Owl can be spotted on fence posts at dusk out along Schoolhouse or Postmans Roads in Kaikoura.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Cape barren geese are relatively reliable at St Anne’s Lagoon near Cheviot.

There’s also a good spot out near Kowhai bush in Kaikoura for little Owl, (those roads mentioned above by Jesse) they’re usually just hanging out on fence posts or in big trees hunting on Dusk.

For yellow head it’s a bit more difficult, there are birds up the Hawdon Valley in inland canterbury, but they’re difficult to find and involves crossing rivers etc. the most easily accessible ones I know of are either up near Kiosk Creek in the Eglinton Valley, or from the ‘The Whisp’ end of the Catlins River Walk.

For the Catlins Walk you walk in across the river and up a bit of a rise, before dropping back down and crossing a small creek. In the space of about 1km we had 3-4 pairs of yellowhead calling and viewable from that point onwards.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Ulva Island is also one of the best spots for yellowhead and little owl at the Christchurch botanic gardens. Other specialties are King shags in the Marlborough sounds, Rock wren at Homer tunnel or Otira valley (and of course kea) and Black stilt in the Mackenzie basin or Ashley river estuary.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:18 am

Thank you all so much for your help.

David, I would appreciate fuller directions for the Catlin walk spot for Yellowhead.

Cheers,

Grahame
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 am

Hi Grahame,

If you drive into the Catlins as far as Owaka , then head up the Owaka Valley Road then onto Chloris Pass Road, and Follow it around past the Catlins road Turnoff, and you’ll eventually see a car park on the right. Park here and follow the track over the river, and then up a slight rise, down the other side and anywhere from there onwards you should hear/see Yellowhead.

https://goo.gl/maps/dF3KAnLRzBx Is where you want to park. And this is the walk I was mentioning with some more directions etc https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/catlins-conservation-park/things-to-do/catlins-river-wisp-loop-track

I definitely suggest heading from the Whisp end rather than the other end as you’re traveling a much shorter distance to get into the Yellowhead habitat. We walked approximately 1.5kms and saw 4-5 pairs. So pretty good going really!

Hope this helps,
David
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:07 am

David, that is so helpful of you. I take it the Wisp end is the North-West end

Cheers,

Grahame
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 pm

There are Cirl Buntings around Blenheim, I think near the sewage farm. Can anybody give me good directions for them please.
Cheers,
Grahame

Return to “General Birding Discussion”