Greenshank Mangere

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
phil hammond

Greenshank Mangere

Postby phil hammond » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Just had a call from Paul Godolphin. He has a Greenshank in the canal at Mangere near the bend in Island Rd

Phil Hammond
Wrybill Birding Tours NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Davidthomas

Re: Greenshank Mangere

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Noice. Now to hope it sticks around for 10 days until I can visit!
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 pm

If it helps some birders decide about looking for this bird, it was photographed and every birder who has seen the photo, and heard the description of the call, says definitely a Greenshank.
Good luck,
Grahame
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:02 pm

We searched the canal from high tide today (1.00 PM) for around 2 hours, without any joy.
Simon & Morag
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:11 pm

No greenshank today and only 3 stilts seen total. It didn’t help the tide was out and the canal/basin water level was much higher
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Will obviously be worth checking the shellbank roosts, otherwise people elsewhere on the Manukau should be on the lookout!

Good spotting Paul and thanks to Phil for getting the word out.

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 pm

Dam this bird has been my number 1 target since I first got into shorebirds in a big way 12 or 13 years ago! Have still never seen one. Would sell my left.... to see this one!

If any more sightings are made im hauling my butt up there from Christchurch. Might be a bit of a needle in a haystack scenario unless there are a few more confirmed sighyings in a tighter targer area. Still...Id like to take the punt!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:39 pm

Sightings definitely seem to be getting scarcer of Greenshanks in NZ. Hope this one shows again soon.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Just curious if this one has been seen again since the initial sighting?

Samuel Ullman
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Nope afraid not Adam. Not for lack of trying though! I’ve heard of atleast three people visiting since the initial sighting and not seeing it unfortunately.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”