Falcon at the Homer Tunnel entrance- no rock wren

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
kengeorge

Falcon at the Homer Tunnel entrance- no rock wren

Postby kengeorge » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 am

Last week I went looking for rock wren at the entrance to the Homer Tunnel and on the scree slopes at the start of the Gertrude Valley walk (just around the corner) - no rock wren seen on either of my two visits, but a falcon sat watching me and the surrounding scrub very attentively at the Homer Tunnel site.....I'm guessing that the lack of rock wren and the presence of the falcon are not entirely unrelated. Pity, and nobody in their right mind would advocate shooting a falcon, but I wonder if in extreme circumstances such as protecting the local rock wren population, such a step may have to be considered. The falcons are present right up the Eglington Valley, I heard and saw them at a number of spots, so getting rid of the Homer Tunnel falcon may just mean another falcon moves in. I mentioned the Homer Tunnel falcon to the local DOC people and they were pretty grim about it. Have others seen the falcon there? Has it been there for years?
Adam C

Re: Falcon at the Homer Tunnel entrance- no rock wren

Postby Adam C » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am

I'd be surprised if Falcons are targeting rock Wren to be honest. But maybe the rock wren are keeping a low profile due to there presence. they can survive in the rocks pretty well without ever really having to show themselves.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
kengeorge

Postby kengeorge » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:50 pm

I sure hope you're right; this falcon looked like it knew what it was doing, perched on a rock above the scrub with a good view all round, and kept it's head down watching the surrounding rocks and scrub. Every ten minutes or so it would rotate it's position on the rock and keep watching another area of rock and vegetation. I stood and watched it for about 30-40 minutes. It also kept an eye on me and if I moved quickly in a particular direction, it immediately watched where I was going. I got the impression that it wasn't the first time the falcon had been around there. As far as I could tell, there were no other birds present, nothing flying, nothing calling.
tim

Postby tim » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Rock wren are sometimes hard to find and you need to know what to look for to see them or hear them.
Yes Falcons do target rock wren and about now there is normally rock wren fledgings so easy prey but just another predator they have to deal with.
Tim Rumble

Return to “General Birding Discussion”