NZ Falcon

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
TheBirderman

NZ Falcon

Postby TheBirderman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am

Hello

I remember reading the Handbook of Australian New Zealand and Antarctic Birds (HANZAB) and seeing on the New Zealand falcon distribution map that they have been recorded in Northland and have a light red in Kaitaia area. I know Falcon went extinct in Northland/Auckland area many decades ago, but is it possible that any survive?
Jim Kirker

Re: NZ Falcon

Postby Jim Kirker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:31 pm

A few months back I heard a rumor that the ranger knew of one at Tahuna Torea in Auckland.
Last edited by Jim Kirker on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fras444

Postby fras444 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:05 am

There was pair that was trans-located to the Hanuas... Wondering how that is going?
To the "sighting" in Kaitaia... I do believe young birds do disperse and can be pop up anywhere in NZ. Also too, it could just be a misidentified bird as well. Those distribution maps, in particular the NZ falcon, have birds dotted all over the country.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:24 am

Translocated to the Hunuas? I am aware of the pair in there but where did you get that they were translocated?

Also there has been 4-5 other sightings in Auckland over the last decade that I know of.
BombayDave

Postby BombayDave » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Definitely falcon in Auckland area were introduced into Hunua ranges(DOC & ARC involved)about 4 years ago. A nesting platform was made for these introduced birds. I regularly see falcon in the Hunuas(July this year was last sighting) and also have seen single birds during winter around Pukekohe/ Pokeno area. A female flew low over Pukekohe High school fields in May this year. Also seen birds over Bombay hills(couple of times a year) Probably non breeding(during breeding season) or winter birds. I am presuming that some birds will travel long distances during winter.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:18 am

My understanding is that the Hunua translocation that was planned a few years ago never went ahead.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”