Canterbury Big Year

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

Re: Canterbury Big Year

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 am

Just replying to the Q on sighting or sound? Yep, like ebird, sound is acceptable.
Paul Sagar

Postby Paul Sagar » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:22 am

A great idea. I'll see what I can do in Mid- South Canterbury
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Following on from your post regarding the golden pheasant, who’s list/taxonomy are we following? As I don’t think EBird yet splits the royal albatrosses, Campbells or blackbrowed Mollymawks. And a few years ago most listers agreed to remove non established ferals, eg Muscovy, Guinea fowl, red legged partridge
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi David,

I've always used the Wrybill Tours list from their website, but as BirdsNZ support ebird and that medium is the only practical way of folks seeing how others are doing then it has to be the ebird list. So those albatross splits, etc, are out.

The whole thing was Niall Mugan's idea so I'll ask him what he reckons of the non-established (in rtaonlky Canty) species.

which ones were you thinking?

There are certainly Feral turkey, Feral Peafowl, Feral chickens, Feral Cockatoo, Feral (Greylag) Geese in Canty.

No feral muscovys as far as I'm aware, and no Feral Crested Pigeons anymore - but potentially 2 pops of feral guineafowl.

Feral Cape Barren Geese? Feral Barbary Dove?

Feral Red-legged Partridge or feral Golden Pheasant? Hard-to-know? Perhaps something we'll know by the end of the year.
scaber

Postby scaber » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

You can put me down for this as well. I'm a rank beginner but I think that this may give me some focus over my usual random meanderings - it's like a New Year's Resolution that actually has some chance of success!

- Greg Mckenzie
Greg Mckenzie
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi folks, 3.5 hours to go till the Canterbury Big Year starts.......

Here's an easy starter for a New Year's day twitch - the cormorant roost in the dead trees on the sunken island in Lake Kate Sheppard (ANZAC Drive/New Brighton Rd roundabout) is performing well, with 3 species roosting in it yesterday, including 15 Little Black Cormorants. Beware lots of black-all-over newly fledged Little Cormorants in the area, freshly dispersing from the colony at Horseshoe Lake.

kate sheppard.JPG
kate sheppard.JPG (77.75 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:23 am

David, thanks for the info re Kaikoura trip on Jan 5th. Sadly for me I won't be able to make it.

How about we add a thread under Events for the Canterbury Big year Tipoffs? Hopefully there will be a long list. 20 giant petrels just beyond the waves at Birdlings flat on the evening of Dec 30th.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:22 am

Rather than a new thread under events (which I think people often forget to look out), maybe keep “tip offs” and updates all together on this currrent thread, with. Notable sightings of course posted separately so the wider Nz birding community can see those also?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Nice one, Andrew. I look forward to updates throughout the year.
From the screen captures you posted it looks like ebird uses the Google maps API. You'll see the same boundaries if you just look at maps.google.co.nz (and for any other region too). These should be the Territorial Authority boundaries, which go out to 12 nm, so that makes sense in terms of your list.
If there are any planned trips or outings please do put them in the events subsection, especially if there is space for non-listers.
Cheers.
gmckinlay

Postby gmckinlay » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Just added a tipoff on possible whimbrel on Ashley thread, then saw Andrews note above.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”