Kokako Tips

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Paul Shortis

Kokako Tips

Postby Paul Shortis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 am

I'm travelling from Masterton to Auckland late in January with a British birding mate stopping at various birding locations as we go. He's a great fan of Kokako and, in particular, their call (who isn't?). Pukaha is an obvious hunting spot but it's closed at dawn, the best time to hear and see Kokako. There's also Boundary Stream but we are not planning to visit Hawkes Bay. Can anyone recommend a likely place further up country where there is a good chance of hearing and seeing Kokako?
Mike Vincent

Re: Kokako Tips

Postby Mike Vincent » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Kaharoa near Rotorua has a population. Early morning is best.
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm

If you were able to do a day trip to Kapiti, they have them on Kapiti Island. We saw a nest last week when we were there.
Last edited by Charlotte on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 am

The kokako translocated to Maungatautari in 2015 and 2016 are doing well, though it'll be a while before the mountain is properly saturated with them. Details on where birds (including territorial pairs) were located in the October 2018 census are at https://www.sanctuarymountain.co.nz/vdb/document/51
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 am

The best place for viewing non-translocated kokako in my experience is at Mapara Forest (Take Mapara S Rd SW of Kopaki, which is just south of Te Kuiti).

The loop track is often a bit overgrown at this time of year so be prepared to get wet shoes in the early morning. Once on the top ridge, walk slowly and listen--not only for the song but for the leaf rustling of foraging birds.

The next best spot I would say is either Kaharoa (mentioned above) or the Waipapa Loop in Pureora.

Russ
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:24 am

As Russ mentions above those are probably my three go to areas. I’m yet to not see them on the Kaharoa walk, but I don’t know whether that’s just luck or they’re actually reliable.
Paul Shortis

Postby Paul Shortis » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks folks. Sounds like a few good options and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my query. When my mate arrives we'll get out the map and plot a couple of courses north. We're eventually heading to Miranda before he flies out to the UK but we'll be wandering!

I'll post a blog of travels when I get back to the Wairarapa.

Went for a walk in the Tararuas yesterday and there are at least half a dozen long tailed cuckoos along the Gentle Annie Track. Hopefully they will still be there when he gets here on the 25th!
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Another stop on your trip could be Pirongia. Birds were returned there a couple of years ago and are breeding well. Easiest place is the car park at the end of Grey Rd. There is a territory there. Just take care not to run over one as you arrive. Seriously! After that, a walk up the track has good chance of hearing birds.
Paul Shortis

Postby Paul Shortis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks Everyone for your help.

We managed one lone Kokako at Pukaha, Mt Bruce. We tried Mapara early in the morning and Maungatautari during a very hot afternoon. I'd have to say it was very hot and all birdlife was taking it easy (as we should have done!).

Highlights of the trip were a Black Fronted Dotterel and two chicks at Lake Onoke; Saddlebacks at Bushy Park; Blue Ducks on the Tongagriro (much praise for Garth Oakden's vision and team), and Miranda yielded a Black Tailed Godwit, three sharpies, a Curlew Sandpiper, Several Turnstones and a Pied X Black stilt.

My mate has now gone onto Australia to scare anything avian there.

Keep Birding!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”