Long Tailed Cuckoo

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Graham b

Long Tailed Cuckoo

Postby Graham b » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:25 am

: Hi all, new to Birding NZ, and am enjoying exploring and learning about NZ bird life with a keen daughter, any idea's of place's likely to observe L T Cuckoo in the NI before they depart?.
Cheers.
Paul Gibson

Re: Long Tailed Cuckoo

Postby Paul Gibson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 am

Twice in the last week we have been to a spot 35 minutes from Wanganui, and had good numbers of LTC, and whiteheads. We position ourselves between two bush-clad ridges and the cuckoos fly between. Had likely 10-12 around, with five flying overhead at once. Their calls, both the screech and rattle calls, were numerous. I think they will soon begin migrating, so best to seek them out soon. Not sure where you live, as there will be other places also, possibly closer for you.
Graham b

Postby Graham b » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks for that info, we live in Orewa north of Auckland.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:24 am

I've had good luck at Lake Rotopounamu, Tongariro National Park, which is good for a range of NI bush birds, as well as some of the best grey ducks around. But any bush block with good, long-established whitehead populations is worth a try (LTCs seem slow to move into areas where whiteheads have been reintroduced). Though it has to be said LTCs have very cryptic habits and are much more often heard than seen, so luck is definitely needed! Familiarise yourself with the "rattle" call, which they often give while flying (http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/lon ... ird-sounds) - a glimpse of a long-tailed silhouette passing overhead is often all you'll get. But if you're really lucky you might come across a group like Paul describes - they do these social displays occasionally (never seen a good explanation why) and it's quite a sight.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:27 pm

The Waipapa Loop in the northern block of Pureora Forest (near Taupo) is really good this year for seeing LTCs in the open.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:40 pm

I was also thinking of Pureora. A night camped at Ngaherenga campground must be as good as anywhere.
Graham b

Postby Graham b » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 am

Thank you, sound's like a trip camping into central NI on the cards, Blue Duck also on the 'list', already looking forward to planning this one. Cheers.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 am

You do also get them passing through the Waitakares but probably less reliable than the spots mentioned by Russ and Neil. Visiting the pueroras is worth it, as you can get blue duck, Falcons, Kokako, kaka, kakariki, longtailed bats etc. also
Graham b

Postby Graham b » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Thank you for these suggestions, will look to make it happen, soon.
scaber

Postby scaber » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I, and 3 others, firstly heard and then after about 4 or 5 minutes, saw one fly out of the vegetation and across the road to a large tree. Thiswas at the Rimutaka Lookout last Saturday, the 9th of Feb. I stood there open mouthed with my camera in my hand and didn't even think of taking a photo!!
Greg Mckenzie

Return to “General Birding Discussion”