Canterbury Kaka Populations

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Adam C

Canterbury Kaka Populations

Postby Adam C » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 am

Anyone have any info on recent kaka population trends in Canterbury especially in Lewis Pass and Arthurs. I vividly remember being surrounded by 8 birds on the start of the Hope track about 8-9 years ago and we used to regularly hear them half way up through the bush on deer hunting trips. These days I do 1-2 trips per year and havent seen them on the last couple of occassions. I'd love to know any recent figures on how they're doing.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Davidthomas

Re: Canterbury Kaka Populations

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 pm

They’re definitely up the Hawdon and head of the Poulter Valleys. And also in Lake Sumner area up the head of the south branch Hurunui and potentially up the Nina Valley also(unsure if this is still Canterbury)
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks DT. I'm also interested to hear from DOC or the like, how much trapping is going on outside the Hawden in the likes of the Hope/Lewis on top of the mast year 1080 drops. Also if they are stable or still in decline or slightly on the up. Such a dam precious bird that gets smashed by high stoat/wasp numbers. Mind you they're all precious I guess :)
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Yep, Hawdon, Andrews, Binser all have low numbers of Kaka. Sometimes they've been reported from the forests near Oxford, in small flocks, but these may be irruptions.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”