Kakapo numbers increase.

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
TheBirderman

Kakapo numbers increase.

Postby TheBirderman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Does anyone know how many kakapo chicks have hatched this breeding season as of February 2019? Also, what could be some islands that DOC could move them to as the other islands are currently full (according to Stuff.co.nz)

Cheers
Jim_j

Re: Kakapo numbers increase.

Postby Jim_j » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Google the Radio NZ podcasts by Alison Ballance for up to date info.
I imagine they are thinking of places like Secretary Island or maybe a fenced sanctuary - no announcement yet.

Cheers Jim
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:11 am

I'd totally have one at my place.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:43 am

~30 so far last I heard somewhere. Hauturu could surely take more, but that might be more of a holding space as we seem to be left with birds that really need rimu.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu May 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Update on the aspergillosis setback to the record breeding year.

Thirty kākāpō in hospital as fungus decimates population https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/390 ... population
TheBirderman

Postby TheBirderman » Thu May 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:Update on the aspergillosis setback to the record breeding year.

Thirty kākāpō in hospital as fungus decimates population https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/390 ... population

This is probably the saddest Kākāpō news I have heard in the past few years - I am hoping that these birds can bounce back.

Cheers
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:50 pm

Hmmmm yes the situation seems to be getting worse.
Hopefully the birds haven't been "pushed to hard" with ntensive nest management resulting in double and even some triple clutches. From what I've read aspergillosis is ever present and only tends to be an issue when some other problem exists.
You can understand trying to make the most of the massive rimu mast but maybe they are just been over managed?
Although I don't think the Anchor Island birds are affected so maybe there is some environmental factor on Codfish?
Whatever let's hope for the best.
Cheers Jim

Return to “General Birding Discussion”