Ashley-Saltwater Creek Estuary, Canterbury

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Davidthomas

Re: Ashley-Saltwater Creek Estuary, Canterbury

Postby Davidthomas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:47 am

We saw the sanderling quite far away on the opposite side of the Estuary near where the white baiters usually are initially, it was by itself sticking out by how overall white it was. It then flew across and into the tidal wash coming in on the back of the spit about 1/2 way along after the dunes end and stuck around there feeding on the incoming tide for ten to fifteen minutes before it was disturbed and flew off again.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi folks,

rumours of a Whimbrel at the top end of the Ashley-Saltwater Creek Estuary are true - Phil Crutchley, Kenny Rose and I had a good search of the north arm of the estuary today, and there it was! An Asiatic.

Whimbrel1.JPG
Whimbrel1.JPG (38.6 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
rowey

Postby rowey » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Whimbrel still present today. Crossed Saltwater Creek beside Maimai after coming out from Raupo Berm. Headed towards Pines where located by AC and others and found bird to the left off the last known location. Was alone and stood out pretty quickly. Was moderately approachable. No sign of any Curlews.
Whimbrel.jpg
Whimbrel.jpg (100.91 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Bev Alexander

Postby Bev Alexander » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:27 pm

I to went out looking for the Whimbrel this afternoon, but wasn"t brave enough to cross Saltwater Creek. Thought I saw possible Whimbrel in the distance but a strong easterly wind made identifying difficult. Enjoyed the walk. Cheers Bev.
rowey

Postby rowey » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Hey Bev. It was not to bad for those of us with long legs :D This was about an hour before low tide. The visiting Englishman was not so lucky :D
gandb2.jpg
gandb2.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Bev Alexander

Postby Bev Alexander » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:11 pm

I was worried I would get my Red bands wet!! Worst still falling over in the mud.
FraserGurney

Postby FraserGurney » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Whimbrel present this evening, close to where Saltwater Creek joins the Northern arm in the estuary.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 pm

As was the Sanderling this morning around where the main ashley river meets the Little Ashley.

Also of note we’re two Turnstones at the back of the Estuary. A bird not always regular there.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Sanderling and Black Stilt showing well this afternoon on the south side of the Ashley estuary.
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 pm

I know the Whimbrel was there last summer/Autumn but it would be nice to get a curlew back this season. Just out of interest does anyone know when the last curlew sighting was at this location?

The last time I seriously looked (before last autumn) was back around 2007 when there were a pair of Curlew and a pair of Whimbrel present right up into saltwater creek.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”